Rangitoto Island, Auckland
About Rangitoto Island, Auckland
Rangitoto Island, Auckland - Address
Address: Rangitoto Island, near Auckland, New Zealand
Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 28.6K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Island, Family And Kids, Adventure, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Situated around 25 minutes from Auckland by ferry, Rangitoto is the largest and youngest island in the Auckland volcanic field. It erupted in the sea in a series of explosions around 600 years ago, and is now extinct. The island is uninhabited and is a favourite destination for hikers, trekkers and explorers. Many people also go to the island on a guided kayaking adventure trip.
One of the most stunning locations in Auckland, New Zealand, Rangitoto Island offers you a communion with nature. Due to this, Rangitoto Island is a popular attraction to visit. Although you can explore this attraction on your own, it is always better to book tickets for Rangitoto Island tours with us for a better experience. From Rangitoto Island tickets to transport, we arrange everything for you. If you buy tickets for Rangitoto Island tours in time, chances are that you might get Rangitoto Island ticket prices at discounted rates. Getting tickets for Rangitoto Island was never that easy!
Rangitoto Island Information
- The Rangitoto Island is a pest free island. Kindly check your bags, clothing and shoes for seeds, dirt, any insects or skinks, mice and rats before travelling to the island.
- No restaurants present on the island. Carry sufficient food and snacks with you.
- Limited drinking water. Carrying your own water bottles in advised.
- Don't forget to wear a cap/hat and comfortable walking shoes.
- Littering on the island is a punishable offence.
Rangitoto Island Ticket Prices
Ferry Ticket Prices:
- Adult $30
- Child $15
- Family $75
Rangitoto Island Opening and Closing Hours
- A day time visit to this island is recommended.
Ferries leave from the Auckland ferry terminal at the below timings:
- Monday to Friday 9:15 am, 10:30 am, 12:15 pm, 1:30 pm.
- Saturdays, Sunday and Public Holidays 7:30 am, 9:15 am, 10:30 am, 12:15 pm, and 1:30 pm.
- Ferries leave from the Rangitoto Wharf at the below timings: Monday to Sunday and public holidays 12:45 pm, 2:15 pm, 3:30 pm and 5:00 pm.
How To reach Rangitoto Island by Public Transport
- Ferry from Auckland Ferry Terminal
Restaurants Near Rangitoto Island
- No eateries on the island. Carrying snacks with you is advised.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Auckland before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Auckland and book an accommodation of your choice.
Rangitoto Island, Auckland Reviews - Write a Review
Best to go during the weekend and book an early bird ticket. Lower price and you will have a lot more time on the island. Departure times are restricted during the week.
Must see in Auckland, pretty young 600 y.o. volcano with amazing view from summit. You can find there caves, nature also Kiwi birds. The track is easy to walk.
Spent the whole day exploring the island, check out the lava tubes.
Easy to access by ferry or kayak. Walks are well signposted. Leave early and you can reach Motutapu island too. Take the bridge near Islington harbor.
Good walk to top, great views when reached. It is such a great island to visit when in the Auckland region.
- Nearby Attractions
- Takapuna Beach
- Howick Historical Village
- Bethells Beach
- Butterfly Creek
- St. Helier's Bay
- Saint Patrick's Cathedral
- Ferry Building
- Queen Street
- Kitekite Falls
- Duder Regional Park
- Auckland Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Auckland
- What to See in 48 Hours in Auckland
- What to See in 72 Hours in Auckland
- How to Spend 5 Days in Auckland
- How to Spend 6 Days in Auckland
- How to Spend 7 Days in Auckland