Lights, entertainment and a whole lot of action! That’s what you can expect to find in Austin’s legendary 6th street. If you’re a fan of pub hopping, live music and young, vibrant crowds then make it a point to visit this street. Known as the city’s entertainment centre, you can hop from bar to restaurant to bar and regale as festivities galore await you at every door! It’s a city sponsored, multi block party that goes in full swing on the weekends.
Formerly known as Pecan Street, and locally known as Dirty Sixth, the block area between Lavaca Street and Interstate 35 was developed as one of the city’s trade and commercial districts in the late 1800’s. The area starting becoming very popular as an entertainment hub in the 1970’s, with many bars, clubs and music venues setting up shop there. Since there are so many people who frequent the area, traffic is usually blocked off making it super safe for pedestrians. Since its inception, visitors have been treated to a variety of activities that carry on today as well.
You can relax, grab a beer and watch indie movies one after the other during a film festival, such as South by Southwest. If you’re mad about live music, then this will be your haven with many pubs supporting all kinds of live acts, from rock bands to piano dualists, electronic acts, jamming jazz bands, roaring heavy metal nights and more! There’re even treats for bike lovers as the street is no stranger to bike rallies.
Loud music, go-go dancers and rampant laughter will surround you and your friends, while you make your way through the crowds that comprise mostly of students, yuppies and maybe even a celebrity or two. As far as food is concerned, the street is filled with all kinds of delicious culinary options. Do you fancy an elegant night out, with wine and calamari? Visit 6th Street. Want to grab some drinks and something spicy? Visit 6th Street! Whatever you desire, it’s here.
6th Street Travel Tips
- The crowd is mostly full of college students and young adults.
- There are lots of places with happy hours with cheap drinks and live music.
- If you want to see all kinds of live music, this is the place to go.
- Sixth Street and its neighboring streets (4th street) are full of great places to visit if you want to grab dinner and a few drinks, listen to music, get a tattoo or shop.
6th Street Hours
- Opening time depends on the venue.
- The place is closed by 2:00 am.
- Bars have to stop serving alcohol by this time.
- You can visit this place around 6:00 pm.
How to Reach 6th Street
- By Bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By Taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone- 512-452-9999.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
- The Best Wurst
- Wholly Cow Burgers
- Llamas Peruvian Creole
- Tamale House East
- Svante’s Stuffed Burgers
- Hi Hat Public House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
67.34% of people who visit Austin include 6th Street in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
39.1% of people start their 6th Street visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see 6th Street
92.97% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting 6th Street