Austin Zoo777 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 10808 Rawhide Trail, Austin, TX 78736, United States, 78736 Map
- Timings: 09:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1512-2881490
- Fax: +1-5122883972
- Ticket Price: 9 USD
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Wildlife Sanctuary , Zoo, Family And Kids, Nature, Bird Watching, Social, Zoos, Aquariums And Wildlife Sanctuaries
Austin Zoo located at southwest edge of Austin, Texas. If you’re an animal lover and would like nothing better to see happy and healthy animals this non-profit rescue Zoo is perfect for you. It more sanctuary than zoo, the volunteers who run this place are completely dedicated to their mission of assisting animals in need, through rescue, rehabilitation and education. This zoo in Austin is privately run and a non profit organization, and is home to mostly rescued animals. On top of having a heart of gold, they have a wide variety of animals that absolutely thrill visitors; from black bears to turtles, African lions to Bengal Tigers and even a couple of cute little porcupines.
The Austin Zoo was initially a goat ranch and started its days as a place where animals in need were housed. During the 90’s, mostly domesticated animals like goats, pigs and deer called it home and by 1994, more exotic animals began to live under its roof. It was renamed to Austin Zoo and in 2000, it became a non profit organization dedicated to helping animals in need. Today you’ll find a host of animals there, such as lions, tigers, bears, cougars, monkeys, lemurs and a lot more. There are more than 300 animals, of a hundred species, all rescued from cruel owners, other zoos and natural disasters.
What strikes most visitors is the compassion and sheer commitment of the volunteers, and their absolute love for animals. The Austin Zoo is clean, well maintained and even air conditioned, ensuring the animals feel comfortable during the warmer months. The facility is smaller than most popular zoos but cosy, perfect for getting up close with our furry friends. Children love feeding the goats, deer and sheep and older kids will find the reptiles, birds and amphibians fascinating. Each enclosure provides information about the animals within; it’s history, how it came to the Zoo and its name! Bring your own food if you’re looking to spend a couple of quality hours here and revel in this sweet sanctuary, where you can feel glad that the animals are actually looked after the way they deserve to be.
Austin Zoo Travel Tips
- Get your own food and water.
- Animal feed to feed the goats, deer, llamas, and sheep is available for sale only in the Gift Shop for $2 per bag.
- There’s a scenic train ride. The train costs $2.50 per person, children under 2 are free. Tickets are purchased at the station, and Visa and MasterCard are accepted in addition to cash.
- The zoo trails are made of crushed granite gravel. It is best to wear closed toe, comfortable walking shoes.
- Austin tx zoo is a 501© registered non-profit organization and rely on donations to keep protecting the animals they house.
- Strollers are available for your use free of charge on a first come, first served basis. They are located on the Education building porch.
- Parking is free of charge.
Entrance Ticket Details For Austin Zoo
Austin zoo prices -
- Adult: USD 11.95
- Student: USD 10.95
- Senior / Military : USD 10.95
- Child (age 2-12): USD 8.95
- Member Guest: USD 7.95
- Animal Food: USD 3
- Non-profit group: USD 6.95
- Groups and birthday parties: USD 7.95
- Austin zoo train ride cost: USD 3 per person
Austin zoo field trips ticktes -
- September 1 – January 31: USD 5.50
- February 1 – May 31: USD 6
- June 1 – August 31: USD 6.50
- Please call the gift shop at (512) 288-1490 to schedule your birthday party, group, or field trip. In order to secure a discounted rate, a reservation must be made by your group with in advance of your visit.
Austin Zoo Hours
Austin zoo hours -
- February 1 – October 31: Daily from 9:30 am – 6 pm
- November 1 – January 31 ( Winter Hours): Daily from 9:30 am – 5.30 pm
- Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
- The park entry not allowed after 04:30 pm during winters.
Austin zoo train ride timing -
- Mon - Fri: 11 am – 3 pm
- Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: 11 am – 5 pm
Own food allowed on -
- September 1 – February 28: Friday – Sunday 11 am - 5 pm
- March 1 – May 31: Tuesday – Friday 11 am - 3 pm & Saturday – Sunday 11 am - 5 pm
- June 1 – August 31: Tuesday – Sunday 11 am - 3 pm
- Jack Allen’s Kitchen
- Iron Cactus
- Baguette et Chocolat
- Whole Foods Market
- Pei Wei Asian Dinner
- Madam Mam’s
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Austin Zoo Address: 10808 Rawhide Trail, Austin, TX 78736, United States, 78736
- Austin Zoo Contact Number: +1512-2881490
- Austin Zoo Timing: 09:30 am - 06:00 pm
- Austin Zoo Price: 9 USD
- Time required to visit Austin Zoo: 03:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
25.39% of people who visit Austin include Austin Zoo in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
40.98% of people start their Austin Zoo visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Austin Zoo
92.45% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Austin Zoo
People normally club together Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and Cathedral Of Junk while planning their visit to Austin Zoo.
Austin Zoo Reviews & Ratings
do they have a gorillaAnswer Report Abuse
Not sure. Consider calling them at Austin Zoo contact number 1512-2881490 for details regarding the same.Report Abuse