Hope Outdoor Gallery950 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 1008 Baylor St, Austin, TX 78703, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Gallery, Family And Kids
Artists and art lovers alike flock to the HOPE Outdoor Gallery, with its stunning graffiti-d walls that span over four floors. Get weird and surround yourself with psychedelic visuals of third eyes and multiple cultures, all spray painted with incredible finesse on these walls. The artwork is constantly morphing, with artists from all over the world coming down to leave a piece of their souls in Austin and if you venture all the way up to the top, you’ll be rewarded with equally pretty views of the city.
The half developed space was supposed to be used for housing purposes at first, but due to zoning problems, the property owners halted development. In what was an unusual move for a corporation, the owners happily allow people to come and paint on their million dollar property. In 2011, it was officially crowned the HOPE Outdoor Gallery, a reference to the Helping Other People Everywhere movement. The area has transformed into some kind of inspirational message board with artists from all over seeking permission to paint here.
When you enter, you might catch a few artists at their work and you can stand back and watch in awe as the artwork unfurls into a giant mural. The building is in a semi-stage of construction, with lots of wrought iron rods jutting out, so be careful. If you decide to climb up the building, you’ll be treated to more and more examples of street art, all fantastic in their bursts of colour and diverse techniques. Finally, when you’re at the top, you’ll be spell bound by the panoramic view of Austin that’ll greet you. This is a free standing, spray paint art hub and it doesn’t get cooler than that. If you’re in Austin, visit this ‘gallery’ to take in some of the spirit of Austin and see what makes this city so special.
Hope Outdoor Gallery Travel Tips
- Wear shoes as there’s a lot of rubble and metal all over the ground.
- Check out Spratx on Instagram and check out their store on the east side to help support local art/artists.
- The climb isn’t advisable for small kids.
- Keep your expectations for street art high and any other expectations low and you’ll be delighted.
How to Reach Hope Outdoor Gallery
- By Bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By Taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone- 512-452-9999. website includes fare estimator and online booking.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
- Counter Cafe
- Corazon at Castle Hill
- 24 Diner
- Kismet Cafe
- Lucky J’s
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
30.33% of people who visit Austin include Hope Outdoor Gallery in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
59.8% of people start their Hope Outdoor Gallery visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Hope Outdoor Gallery
94.01% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hope Outdoor Gallery