Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center782 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin, TX 78739, 78739, United States
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: 512-2320100
- Fax: +1-5122320156
- Ticket Price: 9 USD
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Trail, Garden, View Point, Statue, Family And Kids, Nature, Green House, Landmarks, Gardens
Imagine butterflies fluttering and dancing around rainbow coloured flowers, all set against emerald green grass. Now imagine a reality where none of these beauties exist! The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to keeping such a horrifying possibility away by protecting and conserving as much of North America’s flora as possible. The Center resembles a sprawling garden, bursting with life in every nook and cranny. It’s one of the many islands of luscious green the city is home to and it doubles as conservation center and island of peace for many a visitor. Families, kids, senior citizens, romantic couples or even solo travellers are drawn here and revel amongst the natural beauty.
Former first lady Lady Bird Johnson and actress Helen Hayes founded the National Wildflower Research Center in 1982, with the intention of conserving and protecting North America’s native plants and natural landscapes. They realized that America was on the verge of losing nearly a quarter of its natural flaura and fauna, and this center was created in a bid to stop this. Its present day name came about in 1995. The center revolves around studying the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes and today, it’s recognized as a leader in the ‘Sustainable Sites’ initiative.
As you enter, you’ll notice the lovely variety of multi coloured indigenous flowers, such as Lupines, and the beautifully created statues. Cute little woodland critter sculptures decorate the ground and a giant clay creation in the form of a dragonfly stands pretty upon the side of the white limestone water tower. You ears will tingle with pleasure as soft chiming noises grace them, thanks to the wind chimes tied around the branches of a few of the trees. Numerous trails promise different natural, sensual pleasures set in a completely organic background. If you plan out our visit according to the flowers lifecycle, you’ll be able to catch many of the flowers in full bloom, regaling everyone with their heady scents and soft, silky petaled pouts. This is where one can find the true beauty and diversity of the Texas landscape.
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Travel Tips
- Seminars, sales, special events - there's always something going on at the Wildflower Center.
- The Wildflower Center hosts indoor and outdoor exhibits featuring the work of prominent nature artists from Central Texas and beyond.
- This would be a great place for a wedding or engagement pictures.
- There is a display room with examples of all of the flowers and viewing this is highly recommended either before or after visiting the gardens.
- There’s a great gift shop too.
- Climb the San Antonio Tower to get an eagle’s eye view for miles.
- The Wildflower Center's facilities were designed to sit lightly on the land and are a model of environmental sustainability and award-winning architecture. Check out the aqueduct, Little House and library.
Entrance Ticket Details For Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Children under 12: $3
- Free for members and kids under 4.
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Hours
- The cafe shuts at 3.00 pm.
How to Reach Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- By Bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By Taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone- 512-452-9999. website includes fare estimator and online booking.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
- Jack Allen’s Kitchen
- Torchy’s Tacos
- Hill’s Austin Cafe
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.69% of people who visit Austin include Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
73.68% of people start their Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center