Tours for Mount Bonnell
About Mount Bonnell, Austin
Going up on Mount Bonnell to watch the sunset is an Austin tradition that’s been around for decades. The point alongside Lake Austin is also called Covert Park and provides stunning views of the city, the sparkling lake under the Austin sun and the surrounding hills. Visitors have been climbing up for decades, just to stand atop this landmark hill and look out into the city.
The journey up is as relaxing as it is beautiful, with neat, even stairs placed upon a gentle incline. You can also walk up a dirt path that offers more scenic views on the journey to the top. Bright green trees will frame your path and as you reach the top, wooden picnic tables greet you in open areas. On top of Mt. Bonnel, you’ll see numerous trails that will lead you to different viewing spots, each with their own unique and stunning viewpoints. You’ll find small groups of families, lovers and children all gambolling upwards in order to find a peaceful spot. If you want an even closer view, there are small trails off the beaten path which hide in between shrubs and bushes.
You can come here on picnics, on a lazy Sunday afternoon or make a pit stop while riding your bike. Austin is famous for its plentiful flora and fauna and this hill gives you a fantastic opportunity to absorb it all in one go. It’s also a great spot for bird watchers, since the point attracts numerous members of the feather family. Photographers are bound to fall in love with this scenic treasure chest, as there’s so much to shoot! Orange tinged skies during sunset and cottony clouds, deep green trees, a variety of birds, small animals, insects and people and of course, the beautiful city of Austin itself, a quick climb up Mount Bonnell is highly recommended and in night it is really beautiful.
Mount Bonnell Information
- Recommended time to visit would be sunrise or sunset.
- Once at the top, there is a look-out point and a trail that allows you to capture great views of Lake Austin and the Hill Country.
- If you’re biking, avoid bringing a road bike. MTB can make it up the path.
- Parking is hassle free, and the trail is well maintained and easy to walk. The hike is fairly easy, so people of all ages should be able to walk the stairs to the "summit."
- Recommended for a trip with friends and family or a romantic date.
- The rock stairs going up to the lookout point are pretty slippery so be careful.
- Directions - From wherever you start in the city, get somewhere where you can make the switch to Route 21/22 (21 is northbound, 22 is southbound). You'll want to get off at the stop located at the corner of 35th Street and Exposition. From there, walk northwest on 35th street about 0.4 miles. Turn right onto Balcones Drive, and walk another 0.8 miles.Turn left onto Mt Bonnell Drive and walk another 0.2 miles.And now you're at the north entrance to the park (which also happens to be the foot of the peak). The street address for this location is 4200 Mt Bonnell Drive.
How To Get To Mount Bonnell by Public Transport
- By Bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By Taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone- 512-452-9999. website includes fare estimator and online booking.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
Restaurants Near Mount Bonnell
- Dry Creek Cafe
- Kerbey Lane Cafe
- Hula Hut
- Central Market
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: 3800 Mt. Bonnell Drive, Austin, TX
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 14.4K times in trip plans
Trail, Park, View Point, Scenic Drive, Walking Area, Lake, Rock Climbing, Hill, Picnic Spot, Nature, Bird Watching, Green House
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Mount Bonnell Tickets And Tours
This informative and historic 2-hour tour starts at Lady Bird Lake and makes its way around on the Butler trail 10 mile loop, including the new boardwalk, Barton Springs/Zilker Park. This tour is a great tour for beginners and riders of all ages wishing to familiarize themselves with the best parks of the area.
Learn about the Bats in Austin on this 2.5 hour bat watching bike tour! It's the largest urban bat population in North America. This tour takes place during the evening for a ride around Lady Bird Lake and Barton Springs with a stop to view the bats in flight!
Turn Austin into a giant game board with this fun scavenger hunt adventure. This challenge combines the excitement of the Amazing Race with a 3-hour city walking tour. Guided from your smart phone, teams make their way among well known and overlooked gems of the city, solving clues and completing challenges while learning local history. Note: Pricing is per individual, but teams must book together in order to be included in the same adventure.
Sit back and relax in an open air pedicab as you ride though east Austin stopping at 3 award winning micro-breweries. Learn how beer is made, tour the facilities or just drink delicious liquid gold. Our stops include Hops and Grain, Blue Owl and finishes at Zilker Brewing where you canÂ grab a bite to eat.Â
Share your experience - Rate Mount Bonnell, Austin
- Nearby Attractions
- McKinney Falls State Park
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden And Museum
- Cathedral Of Junk
- HOPE Outdoor Gallery
- Texas Military Forces Museum
- Westcave Preserve
- Summermoon Coffee Bar
- Salt Lick
- Lake Travis
- Hamilton Pool
- Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- 5 Star Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- Budget Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- Cheap Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- Luxury Hotels Near Mount Bonnell
- Austin Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Austin
- 2 Days in Austin
- 3 Days in Austin
- 4 Days in Austin
- 5 Days in Austin
- 6 Days in Austin
- 7 Days in Austin