Mount Bonnell, Austin
Mount Bonnell, Austin - Address
Address: 3800 Mt. Bonnell Drive, Austin, TX
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 14.5K times in trip plans
Trail, Park, View Point, Scenic Drive, Walking Area, Lake, Rock Climbing, Hill, Picnic Spot, Nature, Bird Watching, Green House
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Mount Bonnell, Austin
Going up on Mount Bonnell to watch the sunset is an Austin tradition that’s been around for decades. The point alongside Lake Austin is also called Covert Park and provides stunning views of the city, the sparkling lake under the Austin sun and the surrounding hills. Visitors have been climbing up for decades, just to stand atop this landmark hill and look out into the city.
The journey up is as relaxing as it is beautiful, with neat, even stairs placed upon a gentle incline. You can also walk up a dirt path that offers more scenic views on the journey to the top. Bright green trees will frame your path and as you reach the top, wooden picnic tables greet you in open areas. On top of Mt. Bonnel, you’ll see numerous trails that will lead you to different viewing spots, each with their own unique and stunning viewpoints. You’ll find small groups of families, lovers and children all gambolling upwards in order to find a peaceful spot. If you want an even closer view, there are small trails off the beaten path which hide in between shrubs and bushes.
You can come here on picnics, on a lazy Sunday afternoon or make a pit stop while riding your bike. Austin is famous for its plentiful flora and fauna and this hill gives you a fantastic opportunity to absorb it all in one go. It’s also a great spot for bird watchers, since the point attracts numerous members of the feather family. Photographers are bound to fall in love with this scenic treasure chest, as there’s so much to shoot! Orange tinged skies during sunset and cottony clouds, deep green trees, a variety of birds, small animals, insects and people and of course, the beautiful city of Austin itself, a quick climb up Mount Bonnell is highly recommended and in night it is really beautiful.
Mount Bonnell Information
- Recommended time to visit would be sunrise or sunset.
- Once at the top, there is a look-out point and a trail that allows you to capture great views of Lake Austin and the Hill Country.
- If you’re biking, avoid bringing a road bike. MTB can make it up the path.
- Parking is hassle free, and the trail is well maintained and easy to walk. The hike is fairly easy, so people of all ages should be able to walk the stairs to the "summit."
- Recommended for a trip with friends and family or a romantic date.
- The rock stairs going up to the lookout point are pretty slippery so be careful.
- Directions - From wherever you start in the city, get somewhere where you can make the switch to Route 21/22 (21 is northbound, 22 is southbound). You'll want to get off at the stop located at the corner of 35th Street and Exposition. From there, walk northwest on 35th street about 0.4 miles. Turn right onto Balcones Drive, and walk another 0.8 miles.Turn left onto Mt Bonnell Drive and walk another 0.2 miles.And now you're at the north entrance to the park (which also happens to be the foot of the peak). The street address for this location is 4200 Mt Bonnell Drive.
How To reach Mount Bonnell by Public Transport
- By Bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By Taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone- 512-452-9999. website includes fare estimator and online booking.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
Restaurants Near Mount Bonnell
- Dry Creek Cafe
- Kerbey Lane Cafe
- Hula Hut
- Central Market
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.