State Capitol2578 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Congress Ave, between 11th & 14th Sts, Austin, TX 78701 (Downtown), United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: 512-4630063
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Garden, Landmark, River, Historical Site, Monument, Statue, Leisure, Family And Kids, Architecture , Picnic Spot, Nature, Heritage Building, Bird Watching
Glistening grey statues, sunset red bricks and little historical gems await those who wish to visit the Texas State Capitol, in Austin. Whether you want to picnic in the gardens, watch the squirrels and birds gambolling about or take in some Texan history, this State Capitol is a relaxing and informative place to visit. Limestone crafted into Italian Renaissance Revival architecture creates a delightful sight for sore eyes, as is the stunning view towards the Colorado River. With its mighty dome peeking out over most buildings in the Austin area, this building is hard to miss.
This testament to Texan times gone by was open to the public in April 1888, and was created out of limestone and red granite, resulting in a pink tinged facade. In 1983, a raging fire wrecked the east wing and almost destroyed the building’s framework. It took almost 10 years to restore the building to its former glory, during which the building’s mechanical and structural systems were modernized. When the building was first erected, it was the country’s tallest State Capitol, surpassing that of even Washington. Today, though no longer the tallest, it’s still regarded as one of the most important buildings, as well as one of the finest works of architectural art, in the country.
When you visit the Capitol, you’ll find artistic delight in the masterfully painted portraits of every person who has served as president of governor of the state. With over 400 rooms, there are plenty of spaces to visit and with over 900 windows, plenty of amazing perspectives to view the city from! Outside the building, green grounds stretch across 22 acres of land, decorated by multiple monuments. You can find shelter under trees as you walk upon the black and white, diamond patterned pavement. You can go on a self tour of the building, with headset in your language of choice plugged into your years and you can even just gaze at this pretty, pink building from the outside. Regardless of what you choose, a trip here will prove to be well worth it.
State Capitol Travel Tips
- Take the free guided tour, it’s about 45min, and will teach you a bit about Texas history.
- To request a guided English or foreign language tour, please call 512-463-0063 for availability.
- You will have to go through a security checkpoint so be ready.
- Pay attention to architectural details as there are tons of beautifully designed gems just waiting to catch your eye.
- If you’re with the family, you can picnic on the lush green grass.
Entrance Ticket Details For State Capitol
- Parking is free for the first two hours and after that it costs 75 cents for every 30 minutes.
How to Reach State Capitol
- By bike: Yellow Bike Project, Phone- 512-457-9880, Bicycle Sports Shop - Bike Rentals, Phone- 512-477-3472.
- By taxi: Yellow Cab, Phone: 512-452-9999.
- You can travel Austin by car and taxi as well.
- Texas Chili Parlour
- Whole Foods Market – Lamar
- Franklin Barbecue
- 24 Diner
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Austin before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Austin and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.49% of people who visit Austin include State Capitol in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
70.8% of people start their State Capitol visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see State Capitol
64.1% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting State Capitol