Cathedrale Saint NazaireCurrently Open [Closes at 05:30 pm]
- Address: 2 Impasse Baudin, 34500 Beziers, France
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +33-467282289
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
Once a Romanesque cathedral stood here, that was destroyed in the Crusades. In its place was built this Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral. Large and imposing yet graceful, the Cathedral has a fantastic view of over three great bodies – Beziers, the Pyrenees Mountains, and the Mediterranean sea.
The highlights are:
- The 48 metres high bell tower that you can climb
- The many gargoyles
- The sacristy
- The huge 14th century façade rose window
- Remains of the earlier Romanesque cathedral
- Gallo-Roman friezes on the support columns
- Six large religious paintings
- 14th and 15th century frescoes
- The 14th century cloister
- The 17th century great organ.
Definitely go up to the top of the bell tower for some fantastic views of the land around.
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire Travel Tips
- The climb up the bell tower can be a bit of squeeze in 2 way traffic.
How to Reach Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
- Walk, drive or take a taxi to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Beziers before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Beziers and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Beziers include Cathedrale Saint Nazaire in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
90.42% of people start their Cathedrale Saint Nazaire visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
83.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire Reviews & Ratings
I don't think there is much to add to everything that's been written about this cathedral. Splendid and well worth a visit.
I love old churches and cathedrals and St Nazaire is no disappointment and the views over Beziers are breathtaking.
Oh it is worth a visit to the top...only if you are fit... great views of lovely Beziers
The highlight of any trip to Beziers is the cathedral. Originally built in the 10th Century the building was totally destroyed and rebuilt over many centuries until completion in the 15th Century. The inside is impressive, but the position of the Cathedral overlooking the Orb Plain dominates the horizon for many miles. Best viewed from the Pont Vieux or the gardens around the Eglise St Jaques. The views from the cathedral gardens over the lower city, the river Orb and the surrounding plain are also worth seeing.
Visited the surrounding area. Was there on a Thursday in April. Was suppose to open at 14:30. We waited near the front door until 14:50 and it hadn't opened yet.