Cathedrale Saint NazaireCurrently Closed
- Address: 2 Impasse Baudin, 34500 Beziers, France
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +33-467282289
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, View Point, Architecture , Cathedral
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire - Review
Once a Romanesque cathedral stood here, that was destroyed in the Crusades. In its place was built this Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral. Large and imposing yet graceful, the Cathedral has a fantastic view of over three great bodies – Beziers, the Pyrenees Mountains, and the Mediterranean sea.
The highlights are:
- The 48 metres high bell tower that you can climb
- The many gargoyles
- The sacristy
- The huge 14th century façade rose window
- Remains of the earlier Romanesque cathedral
- Gallo-Roman friezes on the support columns
- Six large religious paintings
- 14th and 15th century frescoes
- The 14th century cloister
- The 17th century great organ.
Definitely go up to the top of the bell tower for some fantastic views of the land around.
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire Information
- The climb up the bell tower can be a bit of squeeze in 2 way traffic.
How To reach Cathedrale Saint Nazaire by Public Transport
- Walk, drive or take a taxi to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Beziers before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Beziers and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
95% of people who visit Beziers include Cathedrale Saint Nazaire in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
90.42% of people start their Cathedrale Saint Nazaire visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
83.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedrale Saint Nazaire
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire Trips
Cathedrale Saint Nazaire, Beziers Reviews
Lovely old Cathedral away from the tourist trail. Wheelchair access to the ground floor is good but no chance of getting up in the towers. Great views of the surrounding countryside even from ground level.
This is on the site where Catholic crusaders herded the population of Béziers in 1209 and burned them alive. I was unable to discover any memorial to the 20,000 children, women and men who were slaughtered here. Nevertheless, it is an extraordinary place with commanding views over the Orb valley, set in the interesting city of Béziers, being brought back to life after many years of decline.
Unusual and striking features, worth visit. Approx 125 steps up to spectacular views of the town and beyond.
Ok but could be more accessable
Fantastic medieval cathedral with amazing views!