Buena Vista Museum Of Natural History60 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 2018 Chester Ave. Bakersfield, CA 93301, USA, 93301, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6613246350
- Fax: +1-6613247522
- Ticket Price: 8 USD
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Natural History Museums, Social, Arts, Museums
If you love geology or just like seeing amazingly detailed exhibits of the animals that once walked on the planet, a visit to the Buena Vista Museum of Natural History will entertain your curious mind. The museum has three sections- Anthropology, Geology and Palaeontology. The place has a collection of taxidermy models of animals like lions, tigers, cheetahs, elephants, bears and other wild animals and replicas of a triceratops skull and an yokuts Indian village. The detailed model of the Yosemite valley with roads, buildings and hiking trails is a an interesting addition.
The stunning collection of fossils including dinosaur skeletons, petrified wood, an ensemble of shark jaws and huge minerals seen in the parent rock, are a favourite among visitors. You can also find beautiful gemstone jewellery pieces on the second floor of the museum. The Paleo Lab is an interesting pace to learn how to preserve, clean, repair and reconstruct damaged fossils.
Other highlights include:
- Rare Miocene fossils
- Native American artefacts
- “Oh! Zone” section that has interactive exhibits
The museum also has a children’s play area and a store where you can buy souvenirs before you leave.
Entrance Ticket Details For Buena Vista Museum Of Natural History
- Regular Admission: Adults USD 8
- Child/Student w/ ID: USD 4 for children ages 3-11 Students 12 year - ? years USD 6, 2 and younger Free
- Students (with ID) and Seniors (55 older) USD 6
- Student Group rate (20 or more) Students: USD 3.00
- Student Chaperones: USD 6.00
- The Third Thursday of each month is Dollar Day! (individuals and family only)All day all ages only USD 2
- The First Saturday of each month is Family day (2 adults and up to 6 children admission only USD 20)
- Second Saturday of the every month is Seniors Day, seniors admission USD 2
- Adult Group rate (20 or more): USD 6.00 per person
Buena Vista Museum Of Natural History Hours
- Tours by appointment.
- Closed on most major holidays and close early on Christmas Eve and New Years Evening.
How to Reach Buena Vista Museum Of Natural History
- By Bus: Downtown Transit Center
- By renting a car/ bike.
- By Taxi
- By taking a cab.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bakersfield before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bakersfield and book an accommodation of your choice.
Buena Vista Museum Of Natural History Reviews & Ratings
My 2.5yr old LOVES coming here. He's obsessed with dinosaurs and they have a good sized dinosaur section. The "play room" downstairs has lots of fun stuff but a lot of toys have missing/random parts. But a very educational place. Every 3rd Thursday of the month they have $2 day. We never miss it!!
For the area, actually a very interesting and large space for the kids to explore. We spent about 2+ hours there and the kids saw everything and loved it. Small scale "museum", more like really cool discovery zone for children. Bought some fun stuff and went on a discount day so it was only $2 per person!
It's easy to overlook this gem of a museum, located in the main part of town on Chester Ave. From the outside it looks just like a regular storefront. Inside, there are 3 floors with everything from Asian & North American animal exhibits to Fluorescent Minerals. Plus many fossils, petrified tree samples, Native American items & a hands-on Science Discovery Center for the kids. Admission is worth it at $4 for children under 18, 5 & under free, students & seniors $5 & adults are $7. There is an elevator.
Great nostalgia, very old, outdated, everything is mostly broken. They could be so much more. No I wouldn't recommend it. They are under construction so I will be merciful. Seems like their living in their old glory days literally.
Very fun and educational for people of all ages. If you or your kid love animals and/or dinosaurs, then I highly recommend coming here. Even with the internet, there is still a far superior charm in visiting an actual museum in person. It is a shame it doesn't get more business. As a community we need to support one another, and should we ever loose this museum, we won't be getting a new one here in Bakersfield anytime soon. Highly recommend the Buena Vista museum, whether you go by yourself or with friends or family. 🦖