Kern County Museum101 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kern County Museum, 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93301, USA, 93301, United States Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6614373330
- Fax: +1-6616339829
- Ticket Price: 10 USD
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, History Museums, Family And Kids, Social, Arts
Keeping a part of the history of Bakersfield alive, the Kern County Museum give you an idea about the Kern County, the things that made its economy strong, a brief about its music and a children’s play and learn area. The museum was established in 1941 (opened in 1945) although its early origins date back to 1929. Currently, the museum covers an area of 16 acres and is one of the most popular attraction around the city.
- Pioneer Village: Comprising of 50 historical buildings that maintain the original village grounds. You can walk around the place to admire the old houses and their architecture.
- Aera Energy Gallery: consist of the the History of the Golden Empire exhibit that explains the importance of oil and agriculture to the growth of the Kern county.
- Black Gold: The Oil Experience: Oil and the employment that it provided spun the economy of the Kern county. Com here to see just how oil was discovered, extracted and processed in the historic town.
- Lori Brock Children's Discovery Center: The centre has the most creative and interactive learning tools (in sync with STEM based learning) for children. The place also has an adventure zone for children to play around.
- Bakersfield Sound: A collection of sheet music, instruments, costumes and memorabilia of some of the most loved artists of the city. You can find memories of legends like Red Simpson, Buck Owens, Bonnie Owens, Merle Haggard and Fuzzy Owen here.
- Haggard House: This was the childhood home of Merle Haggard- the popular American Singer Songwriter where music lovers come to see a part of the legend’s humble beginnings.
The Raymond A. Watson Historic Vehicle Exhibit is another highlight and consists of 80 antique and vintage vehicles that cover a span of decades together. –The Neon Courtyard is the quirkiest place in the county museum with vibrant neon signs of popular restaurants and shops and a gorgeous rose garden that visitors adore! End your visit at the Bakersfield Sound exhibit and Gift Shop where you can buy unique souvenirs for friends and family.
Entrance Ticket Details For Kern County Museum
- Adults: USD 10
- Seniors/Military: USD 9
- Children: USD 5 (2 years & under free)
- Members: Free; Unless noted otherwise, Kern County Museum members do not receive free admission to special events, but may receive discounted admission.
Tour and field trip prices:
- Self Guided Tours: USD 8 per person (minimum 20 people)
- Guided Tours (June 1 through January 31): USD 9 per person
- Guided Tours (February 1 through May 31): USD 10 per person
- History Days (Frontier Life, California History Day): USD 5 per child/student
Kern County Museum Hours
- Closed occasionally for special events and private functions.
- The Kern County Museum will be closed on December 24 & December 25. These dates can vary every year. Fore more information, visit the official website.
Gift Shop Hours:
- Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Sunday: 12.00 pm- 4:00 pm
- Closed on Monday
How to Reach Kern County Museum
- By Bus: Chester & 34th
- By renting a car/ bike.
- By Taxi
- By taking a cab.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bakersfield before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bakersfield and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Kern County Museum Address: Kern County Museum, 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93301, USA, 93301, United States
- Kern County Museum Contact Number: +1-6614373330
- Kern County Museum Timing: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Kern County Museum Price: 10 USD
- Time required to visit Kern County Museum: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!