Maine Discovery Museum447 Votes Currently Open [Closes at 05:00 pm]
There is a reason some places are perfect for kids and parents alike. Maine Discovery Museum situated at the centre of Bangor is one such attraction. A super famous attraction amongst kids, this museum offers a host of creative and hands on activities for kids of all ages. The mission of the Maine Discovery Museum (MDM) is to basically educate children and families through fun means. They encourage creativity; have their ways to nurture a sense of wonder, and challenge all to learn in new and innovative ways. Exhibits and programs here are really fun. They are also interactive and thought provoking. The best part is that they encourage participation by children and families of all abilities and socioeconomic backgrounds. As an unique community resource, this museum provides opportunities for exploration as well as discovery that incorporate aspects of Maine into a greater understanding of the world in which we live. That in a nutshell, is the mission of the museum! This is also the most loved attraction of Bangor and if you have kids, this should be the first place to feature on your itinerary.
Maine Discovery Museum Travel Tips
- Keep your kids in front of your eyes at all times.
- Participate in activities with them if possible.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
- They offer a snack room with vending machines and tables for "brown bag" lunches.
- If your group has other special needs, please let them know in advance.
- On-street parking near the Museum is limited to 90 minutes, M-F; unlimited weekends and holidays. The first two hours in the Pickering Square parking garage are free. There is a bus drop-off for groups with prior reservations at the Pickering Sq. group entrance; all others enter on Main Street.
Entrance Ticket Details For Maine Discovery Museum
- Free for members.
- 7.50 USD for general admission.
- Under 12 months age- Free.
- Group visits are offered Tuesday through Friday beginning at 9:00 AM, and during regular hours Saturday and Sunday. Group rates are available only for schools and other non-profit organizations. All groups must make reservations in advance of their visit to receive the group rate.
- Group rates apply to groups of 10 or more children (5 or more special needs children): 4.50 USD per child; 4.50 USD per chaperone (teachers are free). One chaperone is required for every 5 children.
- You can also order Discovery Bags for your group to take home (2.50 USD,3.50 USD,5 USD)
How to Reach Maine Discovery Museum
- Contact the authorities and book a drop-off bus which drops you at Pickering Square.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bangor before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bangor and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bangor include Maine Discovery Museum in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
63.64% of people start their Maine Discovery Museum visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Maine Discovery Museum
90.12% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Maine Discovery Museum
Maine Discovery Museum Reviews & Ratings
Took my boys there and they had fun but the place is a bit run down. Most of the interactive exhibits were broken or just not there. The entire place could use a cleaning top to bottom. The area with the puppets was dirty and disgusting. The puppets get a lot of use it seems and have a layer of greasy filth attached to them. The water wheel featuredidnt even have a had pump to make the wheel work. It looked like where the pump was supposed to be was capped off. I paid 22 dollars to get in I don't feel that it was worth it. If the tickets were free then maybe. The place needs to clean up and repair the broken exhibits. All that said, there was still some interesting stuff to see it wasn't all bad. But it's just not worth the price for admission if they don't keep up the facilities.
Took our 7 year old granddaughters for a couple of hours of fun and exploration. They enjoyed the freestyle play opportunity and could barely contain themselves as they went from one location to the next. It's educational as well, although neither confessed to learning anything. Great morning!
It's a very pleasant place. Many exhibits relate to local interests, too. My boys love running around it. The staff is very friendly, and the exhibits are clean. They have a nice area for people to eat snacks you might bring. The membership is very reasonably priced.
They are constantly and continuously upgrading their exhibits. With three floors of educational fun, there is a wide variety of learning through play experiences. Admission (10$/person, adults are free) is for the entire day, so you can leave for lunch and come right back if the kids still have energy. There are live animals, extinct animals, and everything in between. We go often!
Lots to see and do. Kids had a great time. The higher you go up in stories, the hotter it gets! If you get claustrophobic, this may be an issue as it was for me. There are very few windows looking out to the street and it was hot inside the upper floors (to me). I would visit again and dress lighter, cooler. Everyone was nice.
how much is it for a seasonal passAnswer Report Abuse
Hi John. You may buy the membership of Maine Discovery Museum. There are several membership packages that range between 30 USD to 125 USD. To know more about these membership packages, you may either visit their official website or call them on 207-262-7200.Report Abuse