Basilica San NicolaCurrently Open [Closes at 08:30 pm]
- Address: Piazza San Nicola, Largo Abate Elia, 13, 70122 Bari, Italy
- Timings: 07:00 am - 08:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0805737111
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids
This signature Basilica at Bari was one of the first Norman churches of Southern Italy. Built in 1089, the basilica stores the relics of St. Nicolas of Myra (better known as Father Christmas) who lived almost 1700 years ago. Known for his many miracles for helping the poor and those in need, he is revered by both the Catholic and the Orthodox Church. Interestingly, it is said that our modern day Santa Claus has been crafted after the figure of St. Nicolas.
Speaking through its grand architecture, the Basilica is a masterpiece of Romanesque art. Some of the sights not to be missed at the basilica:
- Relics of St. Nicolas. Each year on St. Nicolas day (6 December) a flask is lowered into the tomb to extract some of the myrrh believed to be exuding from the relics. Many miracles have been reported as a result of being anointed with the same.
- Central portal, marked by elaborate carvings showcasing Byzantine and Arabian influences.
- Northern side, also known as the Lion Portal, showcases huge sculptures of these magnificent beasts and hence the name.
- The ceiling donned with exquisite paintings by eminent artists of the time.
- The crypt, housing the relics of St Nicolas. The alter is surrounded by silver and gold motifs.
- The chair of Abbot Elia.
- Triptych by fifteenth century painter Andrea Rico.
Many more exciting artifacts are found which are of historical and religious importance.
- Do not be thrown away by the drab exterior.
- Plenty to see at both levels.
- Might find beggars at the door.
- Separate souvenir shop.
- Private tour of Basilica San Nicola and Castello Normanno Svevo @ Rs 1528.
- Pizzi Domenico
- Pizzeria - Antipasteria Borgo Antico
- Osteria Le Arpie
- Antico Chiosco da u russ
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bari before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bari and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bari include Basilica San Nicola in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
36.24% of people start their Basilica San Nicola visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilica San Nicola
73.68% of people prefer walking in order to reach Basilica San Nicola