Castel Del MonteCurrently Open [Closes at 07:45 pm]
- Address: Andria, Italy, Bari
- Timings: 10:15 am - 07:45 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0883569997
- Ticket Price: 3 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Unesco Site
A thirteenth century castle and citadel, Castle Del Monte, has been declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO. Standing tall at 26 meter, the Castle is said to be built in 1240-1250 under the orders of the Roman Emperor Frederick II. The original structure had marble columns and walls. But once the building went into disrepair, the structure was vandalized and stripped off and all the marble was re-used in constructions nearby.
Important highlights of this historical site:
- Octagonal shaped courtyard: contrast of colours created using stones, marble and limestone.
- Two floors with 8 huge halls on each floor. Ingenious method of tiling.
- Check out the interesting acoustics layout within the castle.
- Beautiful use of coral stones across the castle.
- Symbolic representations and significance: mathematical and astronomical layout, medieval depictions, influences of the Islamic Orient and classical times.
Castel Del Monte Travel Tips
- Research the net in advance for all relevant timetables.
- A fading history remains of the earlier decorations of mosaic and carvings.
- Last admission is allowed half an hour before the closing time.
Entrance Ticket Details For Castel Del Monte
- Admission free for above 65 years and below 18 years.
- 50% discount for visitors between 18-25 years.
How to Reach Castel Del Monte
- Andria can be reached from Bari or Trani by both train and bus.
- Bus#6 at Andria for Castle del Monte. Check attraction website for bus timetables.
- Ristoro Mucciante
- Il Rifugio Del Pastore
- La Tana, Il Re e Le Civette
- The Witches Inn
- La Loggia
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bari before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bari and book an accommodation of your choice.
35.9% of people who visit Bari include Castel Del Monte in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
80.43% of people start their Castel Del Monte visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Castel Del Monte
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Castel Del Monte