British War Cemetery, Bayeux
About British War Cemetery, Bayeux
British War Cemetery, Bayeux - Address
Address: 14400 Bayeux, France
Time Required: 00:30 Mins
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 4.1K times in trip plans
Landmark, Historical Site, Memorial, Monument, War Memorial, Cemetery, Tomb
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About 50,000 soldiers that lost their lives during the Second World War lay peacefully at the British war cemetery in Bayeux. The cemetery is well maintained with the simple crosses replace by replaced by stone headstones with personalized inscriptions. The memorial is also popular for inscriptions that read:
- "We saved the fatherland from William defeated Victor."
- “We, once conquered by William, have now set free the Conqueror’s native land.”
Close to the cemetery is a memorial museum which is a recommended visit as well.
British War Cemetery Information
- The cemetery is open 365 days of the year.
- Visit the cemetery only during the day.
- The museum is closed during lunch time.
How To reach British War Cemetery by Public Transport
- Train: Bayeux Train Station.
Restaurants Near British War Cemetery
- Au Ptit Bistrot
- Le Nonan'T
- La Rapiere
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bayeux before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bayeux and book an accommodation of your choice.
British War Cemetery, Bayeux Reviews - Write a Review
Peaceful place for heros to rest, and for the rest of us to reflect on their sacrifice.
Beautiful & very moving. Well maintained as always.
In remembrance of the fallen comrades. The cemetery is amazing.
What a beautiful place of rest for those men, young and old, who sacrificed their lives so that we can live the lives that we do. I found myself fighting back tears as I walked through the columns of stones, some identifying individuals by name and unit, others showing only their affiliation to certain regiments, and other stones only revealing that identification could not be made - the so-called unknown soldiers. This place of beauty, serenity and humility is truly overwhelming.
Very nice looking sit look great
- Nearby Attractions
- Churchill Hotel
- Normandy Circuits
- Rue Saint-patrice
- Bayeux Shuttle
- Dday Historian
- Carrefour City
- Au Louis D'or
- Normandy Sightseeing Tours
- Paroisse Notre-dame Du Bessin
- St Patrick Church
- Bayeux Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Bayeux
- What to See in 48 Hours in Bayeux
- What to See in 72 Hours in Bayeux
- How to Spend 5 Days in Bayeux
- How to Spend 6 Days in Bayeux
- How to Spend 7 Days in Bayeux