Bannerman Castle230 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Pollepel Island, Beacon, NY 12508, United States Map
- Phone: +1-8452372636
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
The castle was built around 1901 and is named after Francis Bannerman VI. The story starts in 1851, when young Francis Bannerman VI migrated to the United States from Scotland with his parents. In 1858, the family started a business of purchasing military surplus just after the American Civil War. The business grew beyond expectation, and Bannerman bought an island just off the coast of the Hudson River. His plan was to build a storage unit to be able to store his now colossal collection. He himself designed the warehouse but let the builders have their take on it. Next to this structure, he built a small castle as a residence. While the construction stopped after his death in 1918, the structure too suffered severe damages. A part of his collection went off, causing an explosion. Over the years the castle was ignored, but now is on its way to recovery. Although the interiors have been burnt down, the exteriors of the castle still stand. The architecture is worth seeing, and the story worth knowing.
How to Reach Bannerman Castle
- Trains Hudson to stop- Breakneck Ridge
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Beacon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Beacon and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Bannerman Castle Address: Pollepel Island, Beacon, NY 12508, United States
- Bannerman Castle Contact Number: +1-8452372636
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!