The capital of the world’s most populous nation, Beijing needs no introduction; the city’s reputation was well established when it transformed into the quintessential host for the Olympic Games of 2008. Given Beijing’s enormous size, it’s a little far-fetched to expect to see it all in one visit. To get a feel of Beijing in its entirety, experience everything right from everyday things like haggling in the local markets for things to visiting the mystery that is Forbidden City. Each one of you should visit Beijing at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Beijing.
Essential travel information and Beijing tips for your visit
- Time zone: UTC+08:00
- Currency: Chinese Yuan
- Language: Predominantly Mandarin and English
- Electricity and Internet: The electricity in China is generally 220V, 50HZ, AC. A decent, reliable and fast broadband connection is accessible in Beijing. You will easily find wi-fi connection in all the hotels, and public places here.
- Security: Police: 110, Fire: 119, Ambulance: 120, Foreigners: 6525 5486
- Tipping: It's not compulsory to tip but it has become a norm to do the same with tour guides or hotel bellboy. It is also not mandatory in restaurants.
- Customs: In temples, remove your hats and don't point directly. Don't display the affection publicly as the Chinese people don't really like being touched by strangers. In mosques, cover your arms to elbows. Don't sshake hands with the opposite gender, here!
- Other tips: There are different seasons throughout the year and hence you should carry clothes according to the season you're going in.
Beijing Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Beijing. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Beijing trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Beijing
Save 7%Great Wall of China Small-Group Day Trip from Beijing
8 Hrs152 Reviews
Save 7%Beijing Hutong Food and Beer Tour by Tuk Tuk
3 Hrs 30 Mins36 Reviews
Save 7%All Inclusive Mutianyu Great Wall and Summer Palace Private Day Tour
9 Hrs101 Reviews
I have a 17 hr stopover in Airport. Do I need visa to visit city? I have a Irish PassportAnswer Report Abuse
Hi Michael! I think it would be better to contact nearest diplomatic or consular mission of the People's Republic of China for getting this information. If you are currently in Ireland, you can contact the Chinese Embassy in Dublin as it is the right place to get answers related to your visa queries. You can call them on 353 1 219 6651 or 353 1 269 1707.Report Abuse