Visit Bentota - Best of Bentota
Situated on the southern part of Sri Lanka, Bentota is a small coastal town. Deriving its name from a mythological story which states that a demon named ‘Bem’ used to rule this tiny ‘tota’ (meaning river side), today, Bentota is visited by tourists who are running away from their demons! A peaceful abode, Bentota is a quaint town surrounded by sea and greenery. Its glorious sun-kissed beaches make the town a perfect destination for families to spend quality time on the beach. People who are in favor of water activities or any adventurous things to do then Bentota River let you enjoy boating, canoeing and jet skiing.
The rich history of Bentotat has also proved the fact that the town was once center of Ayurveda. Previously the city had mastered the ancient art of healing which makes it the destination for people who are interested on this subject.
When you visit Bentota, you will realize that almost everything is within walking distance. If not, then the local tuk tuk drivers will definitely help you with checking off the attractions from your wishlist! Allow us to help your tourism with Bentota itineraries list and your Bentota vacation planner.
Bentota Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Bentota tips for your visit
- The legal age for drinking alcohol is 25 years.
- Bentota is usually a safe place. However, be aware of pickpocketing or bah snatching.
- Time Zone – India Standard Time
- Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee( LKR)
- Electricity and Internet – 230 volts(single phase voltage); Frequency: 50Hz, plug type: D/G. Free Wi-Fi access is available in hotels and some regions of the city.
- Languages – Tamil and Sinhala are their official language. However, English language is also welcomed for the convenience of the visitors.
- Security – Government Information center: 1919, Police: 118/119, Ambulance/ Fire service: 110,
- Tourist traps – Beware of the commission boys who stand outside the shopping malls. They would ask you to go with them. If you go with their guided tour, you will end up paying 20-30% extra. Avoid expensive wine stores.
- Off-beaten Path – Go for birdwatching to see Red-vented Bulbul. It is one of the rare species of bird.
- Tipping – Tipping is not necessary. However, small tips for good services is always appreciated.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Bentota and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Bentota- Know before you go to Bentota
Facts and Stats for Bentota*
Bentota: Crime and Safety
How safe is Bentota for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Bentota.
Corruption and Bribery 100 (Very High)
Drug offense 25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 100 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 75 (High)
Living in Bentota - Quality of Life
Safety Index 78.13 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Bentota
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Bentota
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 2.26 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 17.72 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 48.32 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 18.9 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Bentota Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Bentota
Bentota Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Bentota
Maximum for your minutes. When you travel in this tour, you will feel you are in a paradise.
USD 1812.5Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 5 Hrs
Are you interested in getting away from the busy city and exploring the beautiful countryside of Sri Lanka on an exciting cyc...
USD 35Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: Flexible
End your Sri Lanka vacation with ease by booking this private departure transfer from your hotel in Bentota to the Bandaranay...
USD 13.8Book Now
- Cities Near Bentota
- Hirana Tourism
- Bokundara Tourism
- Walpola Tourism
- Nawala Tourism
- Narahenpita Tourism
- Weboda East Road Tourism
- Kalubowila Tourism
- Arangala Tourism
- Malwana Town Tourism
- Kirulapone Tourism
- Mawaramandiya Tourism
- Siddamulla Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Mississauga Tourism
- Kagoshima Tourism
- Nantucket Tourism
- Dumfries Tourism
- Somers Tourism
- Meriden Tourism
- Avellaneda Tourism
- Mone Tourism
- Phumi Kaôh Chas Tourism
- Velha Goa Tourism