Visit Bentota - Best of Bentota
Situated on the southern part of Sri Lanka, Bentota is a small coastal town. Deriving its name from a mythological story which states that a demon named ‘Bem’ used to rule this tiny ‘tota’ (meaning river side), today, Bentota is visited by tourists who are running away from their demons! A peaceful abode, Bentota is a quaint town surrounded by sea and greenery. Its glorious sun-kissed beaches make the town a perfect destination for families to spend quality time on the beach. People who are in favor of water activities or any adventurous things to do then Bentota River let you enjoy boating, canoeing and jet skiing.
The rich history of Bentotat has also proved the fact that the town was once center of Ayurveda. Previously the city had mastered the ancient art of healing which makes it the destination for people who are interested on this subject.
When you visit Bentota, you will realize that almost everything is within walking distance. If not, then the local tuk tuk drivers will definitely help you with checking off the attractions from your wishlist! Allow us to help your tourism with Bentota itineraries list and your Bentota vacation planner.
Bentota Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Bentota tips for your visit
- The legal age for drinking alcohol is 25 years.
- Bentota is usually a safe place. However, be aware of pickpocketing or bah snatching.
- Time Zone – India Standard Time
- Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee( LKR)
- Electricity and Internet – 230 volts(single phase voltage); Frequency: 50Hz, plug type: D/G. Free Wi-Fi access is available in hotels and some regions of the city.
- Languages – Tamil and Sinhala are their official language. However, English language is also welcomed for the convenience of the visitors.
- Security – Government Information center: 1919, Police: 118/119, Ambulance/ Fire service: 110,
- Tourist traps – Beware of the commission boys who stand outside the shopping malls. They would ask you to go with them. If you go with their guided tour, you will end up paying 20-30% extra. Avoid expensive wine stores.
- Off-beaten Path – Go for birdwatching to see Red-vented Bulbul. It is one of the rare species of bird.
- Tipping – Tipping is not necessary. However, small tips for good services is always appreciated.
Are you looking for a Bentota travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Bentota Tourist Information
Bentota Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Bentota
Save 7%Private Day Trip: Handungoda and Galle from Bentota
Duration: 10 Hrs
This one-day tour offers you the opportunity to tour the best attractions on the Southern coast of tropical Sri Lanka. Visit ...
Day Excursions to Udawalawe From BentotaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 12 Hrs
Your Friendly driver will Pick you up From Your Hotel at 0600 hrs & Proceed To Udawalawe.Book Now
Save 7%Private & Custom Kandy tour from Bentota and BeruwelaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 14 Hrs
Spend a full day as per your preference in Kandy. Select the best available sightseeing activities that are suitable for you ...
Save 7%Udawalawe Safari Private Day Trip from Bentota and Kalutara Areas2 Reviews
Duration: 9 Hrs
This private day trip is perfect for those staying in the Bentota, Kalutara, Beruwala, Induruwa or Ahungalle areas who would ...
Popular Hotels in BentotaView all Hotels in Bentota
- Colombo Tourism
- Trincomalee Tourism
- Kandy Tourism
- Hikkaduwa Tourism
- Sigiriya Tourism
- Negombo Tourism
- Ella Tourism
- Galle Tourism
- Nuwara Eliya Tourism
Facts and Stats for Bentota*
Bentota: Crime and Safety
How safe is Bentota for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Bentota.
Corruption and Bribery 100 (Very High)
Drug offense 25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 100 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 75 (High)
Living in Bentota - Quality of Life
Safety Index 76.47 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Bentota
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Bentota
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.02 USD
International Movie per seat 4.06 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 16.26 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 38.55 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 32.82 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.