Situated on the southern part of Sri Lanka, Bentota is a small coastal town. Deriving its name from a mythological story which states that a demon named ‘Bem’ used to rule this tiny ‘tota’ (meaning river side), today, Bentota is visited by tourists who are running away from their demons! A peaceful abode, Bentota is a quaint town surrounded by sea and greenery. Its glorious sun-kissed beaches make the town a perfect destination for families to spend quality time on the beach. People who are in favor of water activities or any adventurous things to do then Bentota River let you enjoy boating, canoeing and jet skiing.
The rich history of Bentotat has also proved the fact that the town was once center of Ayurveda. Previously the city had mastered the ancient art of healing which makes it the destination for people who are interested on this subject.
When you visit Bentota, you will realize that almost everything is within walking distance. If not, then the local tuk tuk drivers will definitely help you with checking off the attractions from your wishlist! Allow us to help your tourism with Bentota itineraries list and your Bentota vacation planner.
Essential travel information and Bentota tips for your visit
- The legal age for drinking alcohol is 25 years.
- Bentota is usually a safe place. However, be aware of pickpocketing or bah snatching.
- Time Zone – India Standard Time
- Currency – Sri Lankan Rupee( LKR)
- Electricity and Internet – 230 volts(single phase voltage); Frequency: 50Hz, plug type: D/G. Free Wi-Fi access is available in hotels and some regions of the city.
- Languages – Tamil and Sinhala are their official language. However, English language is also welcomed for the convenience of the visitors.
- Security – Government Information center: 1919, Police: 118/119, Ambulance/ Fire service: 110,
- Tourist traps – Beware of the commission boys who stand outside the shopping malls. They would ask you to go with them. If you go with their guided tour, you will end up paying 20-30% extra. Avoid expensive wine stores.
- Off-beaten Path – Go for birdwatching to see Red-vented Bulbul. It is one of the rare species of bird.
- Tipping – Tipping is not necessary. However, small tips for good services is always appreciated.
Bentota Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Bentota. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Bentota trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Bentota
Save 4%Bentota City to Colombo Airport (CMB) Private TransferNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Maduru Oya National Park Private SafariNew on TripHobo
Save 7%All inclusive - Private & Custom Kandy tour from Bentota and BeruwelaNew on TripHobo
Save 7%11-Night Romantic Honeymoon Package
12 Days1 Reviews
Save 6%Day Excursions to Udawalawe From BentotaNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Private All Inclusive Kandy Tour from Bentota and BeruwelaNew on TripHobo