Basilica Di Santa Maria MaggioreCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Piazza Duomo, 24129 Bergamo, Italy, 24129
- Timings: 07:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +3-9035223327
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral , Community And Government, Religious, Churches
With the construction beginning in early 12th century, this church is dedicated to St. Mary. It had been turn erected over a roman temple of Clemence and with repeated construction changes and modifications, the structure tool around 3 centuries to complete. The restoration continuously took place all over the years which makes the church a blend of many artists and styles.
Must observe landmarks of the church:
- Piazza Duomo: the main Façade
- Bishop’s palace
- Giovanni da Campione entrance and porch which has columns supported by lions in white marble
- Isabello's Porta della Fontana entrance and porch which has fresco of Mary’s nativity
- Main apse crowned by a loggia surmounted with geometrical patterns.
- Romanesque Greek interior.
The interior includes the art work of notable artists like Allesandro Allori, Luca Giordano, Ugo da Campione, Andrea Fantoni, Bernardo Zenale, Andrea Previtali.
Inside the Basilica are buried the composer Gaetano Donizetti and his teacher Simone Mayr.
- Online reservation for pilgrimage is available.
- Peace of the religious site should be maintained.
- Photography without permission is not appreciated.
- Modest dressing is recommended.
- Bus, rented vehicle or train.
- Colleoni dell'Angelo
- Da Mimmo S. R. L
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bergamo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bergamo and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bergamo include Basilica Di Santa Maria Maggiore in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
38.06% of people start their Basilica Di Santa Maria Maggiore visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Basilica Di Santa Maria Maggiore
71.49% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Basilica Di Santa Maria Maggiore
One of the most beautiful Basilicas in Europe. Super clear with lots of gorgeous cight afrescos and nice sculptures.
Amazingly beautiful church full of art. An absolute must see!
Do not miss out on astonishing interior of the basilica.
Great place. Interior is incredible. Every square centimeter is covered with exquisite art work. It is a must see if you visit Bergamo.
This church is very very beautiful. It's free entrance. Interior is fabulous.