Berlin, the capital of Germany does not have one dominant trait as such in terms of its description. It is a pot pourri of some fantastic architecture, enlightening history, enchanting culture, vibrant nightlife and to top it all-some amazing food.
Some people describe it as the city that never sleeps and some people get so tired with all that they have to see during the day, that they end up missing on what the city has to offer to them at night. Most tourists describe the city to be addictive for it gives you an opportunity to let go in various ways.
The best part is that even though in its appearance it is a vibrant up and running metropolitan city, in its nature it still embraces the culture and traditions that made it so special in the first place. You can not only see people exploring freedom creatively and otherwise but at the same time the class of the city is in a way reflected from things that have come to be known as the status symbols here.
Even though the room where Holocaust was planned would break your heart, but you would easily bounce back to liveliness with the jammed cafes. The Prussian Palace and the walk along the ruins of Berlin wall is like a walk back in time. The theater scene and the concert stages are so inviting, that only after seeing the city you understand why artists like George Clooney embrace this place for their shoots.
With so many things to do in Berlin, the charm of this city is irresistible. Einstein, Bismarck, Bowie, Hitler and Marx seemed to have totally agreed with us. It is your chance to go, not only explore the city but embrace the city in a way that the city embraces everything that comes its way! Each one of you should visit Berlin at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Berlin.
Essential travel information and Berlin tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Berlin follows the Central European Time Zone. UTC +1.00
- Currency: Euro (€)
Electricity and Internet
- Voltage: 220-240 Volts (U.S./Canada are 110-120 Volts)
- Primary Socket Type: Europlug, Schuko
- Multi-voltage appliances (laptops, etc.): Plug adapterClick socket type links to view adapter for that type 110-120V electronics: Plug adapter + step-down transformer
- Hair dryers, curling irons, etc.: Plug adapter + voltage converter There is free wifi in a lot of areas and most hotels offer free wifi.
- Even though the official language of Berlin is German, English is widely spoken.
Security Emergency contact numbers
- Police-Tel: 110
- Fire Service-Tel: 112
- Ambulance-Tel: 112
- Non Emergency Medical –Tel: 116 117
- Toxic Substance Emergency-Tel: 192 40
- Pan-European emergency number-Tel: 112
- Most areas are safe in Berlin. Even then, always carry travel insurance
- Never ever over take a pedestrian walking on the road.
- Look out for pick pockets in crowded areas.
- Lot of shops selling the souvenirs are not real, do check out.
- A lot of times your drink can be spiked, be aware before taking one.
- Take the river boat rides or bicycle tours.
- It is a very common practice to leave a tip to show that you enjoyed your meal and service. 5- 10% of the bill is a common amount for showing your gratuity.
- Do so by either: You can just easily round up to the nearest Euros. Just say "Auf [amount] Euro." (This is the most common way.)
- You can tell the waiter how much change you want back.
- You can also tell the waiter how much tip you want to leave and he will get the rest of the money.
- Avoid leaving money on the table!It is not a custom and someone can easily pick it up from the table.
- The Berlin WelcomeCard offers unlimited travel within the public transport network in Berlin or Berlin and Potsdam and allows discounts of up to 50% on more than 200 tourist attractions and cultural highlights.
- Main museums in Berlin are open on the first Thursday evening of the month from 6pm till 10pm and admission is free.
Berlin Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Berlin. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Berlin trip planner.