Mukteshvara Temple380 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Kedar Gouri Ln, Gouri Nagar, Old Town, Bhubaneswar, Odisha 751002, Bhubaneshwar, India
- Timings: 06:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids, Architecture , Sculpture
Often referred as the Gem of Orissan Architecture, Muktesvara Temple deserves special attention when it comes about art and architecture. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple is said to be one of the most significant temples of Bhubaneshwar. The name ‘mukteshvara” means “Lord who gives freedom through yoga”. This fact is further proved with the sculptures in different poses of meditation, carved on the red stone walls of the temple. Built in 950 A.D., the brilliant craftwork on the temple’s wall proves the creativity of the sculptors of that age.
Highlights of the temple:
- Beautiful sculptures on the exterior walls of the temple depicting folk tales and stories from Panchatantra.
- The Jagmohana (porch), ornated with 8 petals lotus carved on the ceiling.
- Diamond shaped latticed windows.
- Sacred tank on the eastern side of the temple which is believed to cure a person’s infertility.
The best time to visit this temple is in January when Mukteshwar dance festival is held on the temple ground.
Mukteshvara Temple Travel Tips
- Follow the Hindu rituals while visiting the temple.
- Seek permission before taking photograph.
Entrance Ticket Details For Mukteshvara Temple
- Entry is free.
Mukteshvara Temple Hours
- The temple is open throughout the week.
How to Reach Mukteshvara Temple
- Nearby bus stop: Kedar Gouri bus stop
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bhubaneshwar before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bhubaneshwar and book an accommodation of your choice.
49.67% of people who visit Bhubaneshwar include Mukteshvara Temple in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
33.33% of people start their Mukteshvara Temple visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Mukteshvara Temple
90.24% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mukteshvara Temple