Are you looking for what to do in Bhubaneshwar?
WHAT TO SEE
- Lingaraja Temple: One of the most prominent attractions in the City attracts visitors in thousands on a daily temple and more so during festivals especially during Shivratri. It reflects the essence of Kalinga architecture, the largest temple in Bhubaneswar is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is worshipped as Harihara. The vast premise of the temple also has various other smaller temples. One of the must places to visit while you are in Bhubaneswar!
- Nandankan Zoological Park: This National Park with botanical garden, sanctuary and a zoo was built during 1960 and was made open to public in 1979 – it prides itself on being a home to some of the rare species of animals and birds – also has recreational activities like boating, safari and toy train for the kids. July through October is the best time to visit this National park. One of the fun thing to do especially when traveling with kids!
- Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves: Facing each other, these hills have both natural and man-made caves. It is believed that these caves were carved out to serve as residence for Jain monks during the rule of King Kharavela. These caves hold religious and historical importance – Udayagiri has 18 caves and Khandagiri has 15 caves – One of the most interesting visit in Bhubaneswar – Get a sneak peek into the history and marvel at the details of the carvings. One of the favourite tourist places in Bhubaneswar.
- Dhauli Giri Hills: This is believed to be the place where Kalinga war was fought – located along the banks of River Daya, there are no prominent structures around it therefore making this attraction stand out – even from a distance. You will also find here commandments given by Asoka – one of places you must see in Bhubaneswar if you are a history buff! Shanti Stupa at Dhauli Giri is a must visit.
- Rajarani Temple: A beautiful temple built in 11th century makes for a wonderful sight with the manicured gardens around it. It is unique in a way that it doesn’t have any statue of the deity or any sculptures whatsoever. The most striking part of this temple is the tower with detailed carvings - the walls and pillars have been decorated with beautiful carvings as well. It is one of the top tourist attraction in Bhubaneswar – not worth a miss!
WHERE TO BE
- Utkalika: Perfect place to splurge on some Odishan textiles!
- Ekamra Haat: Large market full of vendors selling handcrafts along with some food stalls offering the best of local food.
Below we have a list of things to do in Bhubaneshwar and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Bhubaneshwar getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Bhubaneshwar with confidence.