Visit Bhuj - Best of Bhuj
The city was named Bhuj by Rajput ruler Rao Khengarji I owing to its location at the foot of the hill known as Bhujiyo Dungar. The city was quite important back then as it served as capital of the State Kutch, now a part of the State Gujarat.
Bhuj is a city of historical and cultural importance and is home a lot of palaces, temples and a wide array of handicrafts. It is also well known for the Textiles such as Batik and Bandhani are gaining a lot of importance on a global scale as well. The market for the handicrafts and textiles manufactured here are increasingly gaining popularity and a special tourism in Bhuj is on rise – owing only to these art forms!
City of Bhuj was struck with an Earthquake that measured 7.7 on the Richter scale in the year 2001. Although a lot of it was destroyed, the City has managed to get back on track and is rebuilding a lot of what was lost and also invests in the maintenance and upkeep of the historically important sites such as palaces and temples.
Bhuj travel guide can be easily obtained from the Visitor Information Centre at College Road in Bhuj.
Bhuj Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Bhuj tips for your visit
- BhujTime Zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency: Currency used in Bhuj is Indian Rupees.
- Electricity: India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet: 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Bhuj is Hindi.
- Police: Police 100, 231455
- Fire: 101
- Ambulance: 233614
- Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Refrain from getting overfriendly with strangers. Do not get too personal with people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, tourist guides, etc.
- Keep all your cash and valuables under lock and key in your hotel room. Avoid carrying and exhibiting them in busy streets.
- Do not enter temples with footwear.
- Be modestly dressed.
- Check for photography prohibitions, before you click.
Are you looking for a Bhuj travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Bhuj Tourist Information
More about Bhuj
The Great Rann of Kutch: A Land of Many HuesThe Great Rann of Kutch constitutes the best of Indian tourism. Travel to Rann of Kutch to experience true Indian culture and beautiful white salt deserts.
15 Best Places To Visit In India In NovemberPlanning on going on a vacation in November in India? Here's a list of destinations that would be right places to visit in November in India
Facts and Stats for Bhuj*
Living in Bhuj - Quality of Life
Climate Index 51.6 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.