Also known as the Museum of the Sea, it is situated in the Pyrenees- Atlantique face of the Virgin of rock. This is the first museum in this region dedicated to the Biarritz Sea and it was built by Leopold Folin. The present Art- Deco Style building was publicly opened in August, 1933. The emblem of this museum is an octopus that is made with white and blue. The museum has been renovated a few times.
The main attractions you can look for here are:
- Aquarium with marine life of the Bay of Biscay.
- The 1st level is where you can get knowledge of fishing techniques, whales and hunting whales.
- The 2nd level has cave sharks and underwater view 6 seals.
- The terrace has a shop.
The additions after extension of 2011 are:
- A North Atlantic area with 6 more aquariums.
- A Caribbean area with 12 pools and a lagoon.
- An Indo- Pacific area with 7 aquariums and 2 large pools.
- An educational workshop and multimedia facilities.
- 2 scalloped hammerheads from Taiwan.
- Adults: EUR 13.50
- Students and Children between 4-16 years: EUR 9.50
- Family: EUR 48
- You’ll have to drive to here, or hire a taxi.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Biarritz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Biarritz and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Biarritz include Musee De La Mer De Biarritz in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
37.5% of people start their Musee De La Mer De Biarritz visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Musee De La Mer De Biarritz
53.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Musee De La Mer De Biarritz
Managed to catch seal feeding time, which was all in French so didnt have a clue what was going on, but still very entertaining and good to watch without the audio. Equally they give the foreigners time to ask questions at the end. Loads of tanks for the size of the aquarium. Good fun for kids and adults.
We had a good time here - enjoyed the hammerhead sharks, the turtles and many other fish. Great location. Nice to spend the morning here if the weather is not super fantastic. You get good views out over the ocean too.
It's a really awesome aquarium and my family and I had a great time. Recommend 100%
Great little aquarium, good way to spend 2-3 hours. The admission is a little on the pricey side but it is one of the few family friendly wet day activities to do in Biarritz itself.
+ Great location! Walking distance to everything. Nice personnel and clean. - No A/C so very warm rooms. Try to get a room with a view! The rooms towards the court are quite dark.