Casco Viejo, Bilbao
About Casco Viejo, Bilbao
Casco Viejo, Bilbao - Address, Phone Number
Address: Nueva Plaza, 10, 48005 Bilbao, Bizkaia, Spain
Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
Added 8.3K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Landmark, Food And Drinks, Restaurant, Market, Shopping Center, Family And Kids, Neighborhoods
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Welcome to the most colourful part of Bilbao! Casco Viejo is a famous medieval neighbourhood, filled with delightful streets, great places to eat and a local market the likes of which you’ll be hard pressed to find anywhere else. It is a wonderful retreat for anyone who wants to experience the old fashioned side of Spain. At the Centre of the Casco Viejo are the original seven streets of Bilbao, which makes it a place of immense historical importance for the city.
Casco Viejo is also an important cultural centre for the city. It has a number of old Spanish churches, like the Santiago Cathedral, San Nicolas, San Anton, and the Church of Los Santos Juanes. Besides the San Anton church is the Ribera market, a tiny little paradise for any shopping freak, provided you’re willing to bargain! If the Ribera market isn’t good enough for you, head down to Correo street for some very good deals on artefacts and local mementos. When you’re done shopping, you can either visit Basque Museum or the Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology, or simply take a stroll down the streets and take in all the pretty sights.
- At the corner of the Casco Viejo is the classic Arriaga theatre, a brilliant and beautiful opera house.
- The Plaza Nueva in Casco Vieja has a lively flea market every Sunday, which is a great place to pick up old books and music records.
The Casco Viejo isn’t called the most colourful part of Bilbao for nothing. At any given time of the day, you will find the streets bustling with activity, as young and old come together to make merry in the many bars and stalls. It is a beautiful combination of the old and the new of Spain, and definitely worth a visit when you’re in Bilbao.
Casco Viejo Information
- To have a lovely Spanish dinner at a bargain, head over to the restaurant ‘Casco’. For less than €25, you will get an appetizer, a plate of jamon serrano or Carpaccio, a plate of duck or fish with vegetables, dessert, coffee as well as a bottle of wine for each person.
- There are scores of stalls on the streets, not all of which may be charging you the fair price. Don’t buy the first thing you see, and you’ll probably end up with some great steals.
- Casco Viejo isn’t suitable for vehicles, but is a great place for pedestrians. If you have hired a car, leave it back at the hotel for this trip.
- Most of the shops close around 2 PM, and reopen at around 5 PM after their daily ‘siesta’, or the famous afternoon nap. Time your visit accordingly, or better still, take a siesta yourself!
How To reach Casco Viejo by Public Transport
- Bus Stop: Viuda De Epalza 38, A2153, 62, A3324.
Restaurants Near Casco Viejo
- Rio Oja
- Pizza Via
- La Kuina
- Casco Restaurant
- Victor Montes
- Plaza Nueva
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bilbao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bilbao and book an accommodation of your choice.
Casco Viejo, Bilbao Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- Mirador De Etxezuri
- Sala Bbk
- Mirador De La Carreteta Enekuri-artxanda
- Mercado De La Ribera
- Cueva De Cucabrera
- Azkuna Zentroa
- Euskotren Station
- Palacio De Yohn
- Bilbao Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Bilbao
- What to See in 48 Hours in Bilbao
- What to See in 72 Hours in Bilbao
- How to Spend 5 Days in Bilbao
- How to Spend 6 Days in Bilbao
- How to Spend 7 Days in Bilbao