Cathedral Of St. James566 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Plaza de Santiago, 1, 48005 Bilbao, Spain
- Timings: 10:00 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Phone: +34-944153627
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Architecture , Cathedral
The Cathedral of St. James, also known as the Santiago Cathedral, is an old and charming cathedral in the city of Bilbao. It is one of the oldest cathedrals in Spain, with its origins probably dating back before 1300, which makes it older than Bilbao itself. The Cathedral of St. James is well known for its status as a historical beauty, with an excellent exterior that has been well maintained through the ages, and splendid interiors to match.
The Cathedral honours the apostle St. James the Great, and just like many other churches in Spain, the architectural style is more of a mix of different eras rather than one particular style. It ranges from the classic Gothic influence on the designs of the cloister and the main vault, to the grandiose outer façade and massive spire, inspired by the flashy Gothic Revival style of the 18th century. Even to a layman, the sheer beauty of the Cathedral is there for everyone to see.
- Inside the church, there are a total of 15 chapels, impressive choir stalls as well as a very intricate crypt.
- There are some interesting stone carvings, made by local merchants along the walls of the main vault, a custom that carries on even today.
- You need to pay €1 to enter the cloister area, but the splendid architecture inside makes it well worth the money.
What is most impressive about the Cathedral of St. James is how well it has been maintained for centuries now, and the stained glass windows inside are very impressive indeed. There is also a lovely fountain in the square in front of the church. All in all, the Cathedral of St. James isn’t just a historical masterpiece, but a great place to unwind and relax with the family.
Cathedral Of St. James Travel Tips
- The Cathedral of St. James is only a short walk down from the centre of Casco Viejo.
- The Cathedral opens up to Correo Street, which is a great place to shop for mementos.
- The best time to visit the Cathedral is during evening mass, where the scores of candles make for a hauntingly beautiful atmosphere.
- Watch out for beggars, who tend to congregate on the square outside the cathedral asking for alms.
- Due to its proximity to the many markets of Casco Viejo, there is quite some traffic coming in during the evening, something you should consider while planning your visit.
How to Reach Cathedral Of St. James
- Bus Stop: Viuda De Epalza- 38, A2153, 62, A3324.
- Taberna Plaz Nueva
- Restaurante Victor Montes
- Pizza Via
- Restaurante Kasko
- Café Bar Bilbao
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bilbao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bilbao and book an accommodation of your choice.
48.71% of people who visit Bilbao include Cathedral Of St. James in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
53.33% of people start their Cathedral Of St. James visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Cathedral Of St. James
68.13% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Cathedral Of St. James