Guggenheim Museum1131 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Avenida Abandoibarra, 2, 48009 Bilbao, Biscay, Spain
- Timings: 10:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +34-944359000
- Ticket Price: 13 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Museums, Observatory, Educational Site
Modern art isn’t easily understood by everyone. It’s all about experimenting with the abstract and philosophies of the post-modern world. If you’re up for a colorful visual spectacle, then the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao is a place that should be on top of your checklist.
Giving you a heavy dose of post-modernism with a building to match (all thanks to the architectural genius of Frank Gehry), the Guggenheim museum boasts of 128 pieces of art that will challenge your assumptions of what art is supposed to be by 73 renowned artists.
If you’re not much of an art connoisseur, the building itself is sure to take your breath away. Stepping inside, you will understand the post-modern artist’s mind with paintings and sculptures on display that are definitely not part of the mainstream. Showcasing artwork that spans from the mid twentieth century to the here and now, whether it’s art by Andy Warhol, Willem de Koonin or sculptures by Richard Serra, the museum caters to a wide audience with a thirst for the visual.
A plus that the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao has is that it also acquired works by contemporary Spanish and Basque artists like Jorge Oteiza and Antonio Saura.
It’s a good idea to get the audio guide as it will also give some interesting tidbits on the artwork as well as the building itself. You will also be handed the Guggenheim Bilbao guide that will help you negotiate the museum better.
The museum has three floors with temporary exhibits. Your experience will depend on which exhibit is being showcased at the time, as well as your taste in art. The exhibition space comprises of 20 galleries.
The museum has an orientation room called the Zero Espazioa where you will find a number of multimedia devices like laptops and plasma screens which give you information about the exhibits, artwork displayed and scheduled activities. The information is available in Spanish, Basque, English, and French.
You even have the option of making your own person itinerary in the orientation room, where you can plan your visit according to your interests. The museum also has a book shop and two restaurants (Nerua and Bistro) which you can visit. It is recommended that you make reservations for the restaurants beforehand. The museum has a library with books that specialize in contemporary art.
Things to know before you visit:
- People wanting to take a tour with external non-museum guides must make reservations in advance.
- You are not allowed to touch the artwork and are supposed to keep a safe distance away from them.
- Sharp objects, such a pens, that can damage the artwork are not allowed inside the museum.
- Large objects such as bags, umbrellas or packages are also not allowed inside the museum. You are supposed to check these into the coatroom and for that, it is recommended that you arrive fifteen minutes ahead of schedule.
- Keep your valuables with you as the museum is not responsible for checked-in items.
- Cameras are not allowed inside the museum so be sure to take all your pictures outside the building.
- It would be a good idea to look up the exhibitions ahead of time so that you go when something piques your interest, otherwise the visit can be a tad disappointing.
- If you pre-book your tickets on the museum website, you will not have to wait which can be to your advantage since the museum can be busy with tourists.
- Food is not allowed inside the museum, outside of the snack bars.
- Smoking is not allowed inside.
- It is advisable for you to wear warm clothing inside the museum even in summer as the temperature inside the museum has been kept low.
- Animals are not allowed inside, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs.
One of the prime attractions in the form of museum in Bilbao, Guggenheim Museum offers a life time experience for the art lovers. Guggenheim Museum tickets are always in demand. Thus, to avoid any hassles to get tickets for Guggenheim Museum, book a tour and stay relaxed. As you buy tickets for Guggenheim Museum, you get an advantage of easy access. Don’t worry! Guggenheim Museum ticket prices come at slashed prices for you.
Stay in touch and book tickets for Guggenheim Museum with us for the best deals.
Guggenheim Museum Travel Tips
- Free guided tours are available at the museum at 5 pm on a first come first serve basis. Sign up at the information desk half an hour prior to the beginning of the tour.
- Wheelchairs are available at the coatroom and all aspects of the museum are wheelchair-accessible. There are free guided tours available for groups with special needs if you contact the museum ten days prior to your visit.
- There are tactile tours for the visually impaired that need to be reserved by contacting the museum.
- Baby strollers are also available at the coatroom.
- Portable chairs that can be carried during the exhibition are available at the coatroom.
Entrance Ticket Details For Guggenheim Museum
- Senior- 7,50 €, Groups- 11 €, Students- (< 26 years) 7,50 €
- The ticket prices vary depending on exhibitions.
- The cost per guide is €95 and must be booked two weeks in advance.
- Some galleries may be closed during installation and de-installation of exhibits which will lead to a reduction in ticket prices.
Guggenheim Museum Hours
- Recommended time to visit at 4:30 pm.
- Office hours at the Guggenheim are from Monday to Friday 9 am to 2 pm, for information and booking.
How to Reach Guggenheim Museum
- Tram: lines Atxuri, Basurto, stop Guggenheim.
- Bus: lines 11, 71, G8, stop La Salve/Igogailua.
- Crazy Horse
- La Salve
- Restaurante Porrue
- Meson Lersundi
- Restaurante Abaroa
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bilbao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bilbao and book an accommodation of your choice.
92.33% of people who visit Bilbao include Guggenheim Museum in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
56.98% of people start their Guggenheim Museum visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Guggenheim Museum
51.46% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Guggenheim Museum
Guggenheim Museum Reviews & Ratings
can I buy admission tickets in advance and how do I order them ? Thank you. Ami FrydmanAnswer Report Abuse
Visit the official website of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao to buy tickets online.Report Abuse
how far is the bilbao museum from barcelona?Answer Report Abuse
The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is located approximately 614 kilometers away from Barcelona via AP-2 and AP-68, and is about 596 kilometers away via A-2.Report Abuse