Plaza NuevaCurrently Open
- Address: Plaza Nueva, 9 Bilbao, 48005, Spain
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +34-944150694
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Plaza, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture
Built in 1821, the Plaza Nueva is a monumental square, an architectural feature which is a part of many Spanish towns. It’s design is neoclassical and it used to be an official building of the Biscay government but now is home to the Basque language Royal Academy.
The square has a number of bars and bistros where any visitor can enjoy a pleasant evening. Gift and souvenir shops are also here for the delight of tourists visiting the areas.
A number of people visit the area just to have a relaxing time out on this open. This is a place where you will really feel the true pulse of the city of Bilbao and its people.
- A number of traditional taverns and restaurants are here which are not that expensive but can give you quite the gastronomic experience.
- The space is used for a flea market every Sunday where books, coins, stamps and all kinds of other items are sold.
- The space is also used during festivals, concerts and folk demonstrations.
- You can just sit back and relax out in the open without visiting the restaurants as it is open 24X7.
- July and August on average are warmer and the most pleasant times to visit.
- You might want to avoid going to the Plaza when it rains.
- You should try the tapas bars for some local cuisine and wine.
- It is bustling with activity during the weekends, so if you like peace and quiet, a visit on a weekday is a must.
- Recommended duration of visit variable depending on activity
- Recommended time to visit at 5 pm.
- The restaurants mostly close around 11 pm so keep that in mind while visiting.
- Tram: line Atxuri, Basurto, stop Arriaga.
- Metro: line Lezama, stop Casco Viejo Bilbao.
- Bus: line A2, A5, stop San Nicolás 4.
- Los Fueros
- Café Bar Bilbao
- Bar Charly
- Taberna Plaza Nueva
- Berton Sasibil
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bilbao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bilbao and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bilbao include Plaza Nueva in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
27.86% of people start their Plaza Nueva visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Plaza Nueva
60.17% of people prefer walking in order to reach Plaza Nueva
What a wonderful place to sit and watch the world go by. We were there on a warm October evening and the square was filled with families ... toddlers running around without a care in the world. The old town around the square is pedestrianised and full of character.
Nice place to sit, have glass of vine, iberian ham with friends...
In summer it's the perfect place to sit and chill with family and friends. However, you have to know that whatever time of the year you go there, the pintoxs are very expensive. Not ideal if you want to try the local custom of going from bar to bar to try/buy different pintoxs.
Excellent place to chill eat and meet friends anytime part of the old town
An enclosed plaza with lots of restaurants around. Kids playing on the square in a beautiful day