Plaza Nueva, Bilbao
About Plaza Nueva, Bilbao
Plaza Nueva, Bilbao - Address, Phone Number
Address: Plaza Nueva, 9 Bilbao, 48005, Spain
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 8.8K times in trip plans
Plaza, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Built in 1821, the Plaza Nueva is a monumental square, an architectural feature which is a part of many Spanish towns. It’s design is neoclassical and it used to be an official building of the Biscay government but now is home to the Basque language Royal Academy.
The square has a number of bars and bistros where any visitor can enjoy a pleasant evening. Gift and souvenir shops are also here for the delight of tourists visiting the areas.
A number of people visit the area just to have a relaxing time out on this open. This is a place where you will really feel the true pulse of the city of Bilbao and its people.
- A number of traditional taverns and restaurants are here which are not that expensive but can give you quite the gastronomic experience.
- The space is used for a flea market every Sunday where books, coins, stamps and all kinds of other items are sold.
- The space is also used during festivals, concerts and folk demonstrations.
- You can just sit back and relax out in the open without visiting the restaurants as it is open 24X7.
Plaza Nueva Information
- July and August on average are warmer and the most pleasant times to visit.
- You might want to avoid going to the Plaza when it rains.
- You should try the tapas bars for some local cuisine and wine.
- It is bustling with activity during the weekends, so if you like peace and quiet, a visit on a weekday is a must.
- Recommended duration of visit variable depending on activity
Plaza Nueva Opening and Closing Hours
- Recommended time to visit at 5 pm.
- The restaurants mostly close around 11 pm so keep that in mind while visiting.
How To reach Plaza Nueva by Public Transport
- Tram: line Atxuri, Basurto, stop Arriaga.
- Metro: line Lezama, stop Casco Viejo Bilbao.
- Bus: line A2, A5, stop San Nicolás 4.
Restaurants Near Plaza Nueva
- Los Fueros
- Café Bar Bilbao
- Bar Charly
- Taberna Plaza Nueva
- Berton Sasibil
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bilbao before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bilbao and book an accommodation of your choice.
Plaza Nueva, Bilbao Reviews - Write a Review
Great for tapas! There square is surrounded by bars serving tapas and most have their own terrace. Take your time to see them all before you pick a place. The value differs greatly from place to place.
Crowded plaza with average bars and restaurants. Worth a visit to sample the old town, but not for meals. San Sebastian old town a few notch above.
It was fiesta so square was packed with stages and people. Fun, but couldn't appreciate the square properly
Its a great place to watch the world pass you by. Its a lovely sandstone building very petty, bars all round the side some of which serve amazing food.
Nice athmosphere! Delicious Pinxtos!