Birmingham Back To Backs, Birmingham
Birmingham Back To Backs, Birmingham - Address, Phone Number
Address: 61-63 Hurst St, Birmingham, West Midlands B5 4TE, United Kingdom
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 3K times in trip plans
Art And Culture, Museum, Restaurant, Family And Kids, Heritage Building
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Birmingham Back To Backs, Birmingham
If you want to take a trip down memory lane, don’t forget to visit the Birmingham Back to Backs. In the 18th century, it was common practice to literally build houses ‘back to back’, where two houses would share a rear wall.
Today, only a handful of them remain, and the Birmingham Back to Backs act as a museum that showcases the lives of the ordinary people who have made Birmingham the extraordinary city that it is.
In one of the most fascinating tours around the entire city, you can explore the very houses where the locals lived over 200 years ago. With the entire area being magically restored by the National Trust, you can experience exactly what it was like to be in their shoes, even sit by the same fireplace and take in the sights and sounds of 18th Century Birmingham.
The Back to Backs are quite close to the city centre, which means you have quick access to a number of restaurants and many other attractions.
The Back to Backs also have two holiday cottages on the premises, which houses two people and can be booked for a minimum of one night.
The Birmingham Back to Backs also host themed events, from craft exhibitions to historical depictions of old Birmingham.
The Birmingham Back to Backs are one of the most important historical treasures of the entire country. Take your time out to explore this blissful getaway in the heart of the city, and you will not be disappointed.
Birmingham Back To Backs Information
- Visits to the Birmingham Back to Backs are by guided tour only. It is important to pre-book spaces on the tours as spaces are limited. To book, call: 0121 666 7671.
- If you really enjoy the atmosphere of the Birmingham Back to Backs, you can pre book an overnight stay at one of the expertly restored holiday cottages on the premises.
- The tour guides are full of information, and striking up a conversation would be a great way to find out some interesting stories about the Back to Backs.
- The gift shop is considerably small, but is an excellent place to pick up one of a kind mementos from the Back to Backs.
- There are roughly 8 people allowed per tour, and they have up to 4 tours per hour.
- Remember to book your slots well in advance, because the guided tour is something you do not want to miss out on.
- Public Transport: Birmingham New Street ¼ mile- When leaving station, head for exit sign-posted "Southside" (on maps labelled "Hill Street Exit"). Upon leaving exit, turn left onto Hill Street and walk down hill. Cross dual carriageway onto Hurst Street and walk towards Hippodrome Theatre from where the Back to Backs is visible.
- Birmingham Moor Street ½ mile- At station exit, cross the road towards Bullring entrance but do not enter Bullring. Turn right to walk along St Martins Queensway, this will take you under a road bridge and bring you onto Smallbrook Queensway. Follow road till you reach a cross roads, turn left onto Hurst Street and walk towards Hippodrome Theatre from where the Back to Backs is visible.
Birmingham Back To Backs Ticket Prices
- Adult: £8.00; Child: £4.40Ticket prices include Gift Aid as a voluntary donation. If you do not wish to pay Gift Aid, you can buy the tickets at £7.25 for adults and £3.90 for children.
Birmingham Back To Backs Opening and Closing Hours
- Opening times may change according to date.
How To reach Birmingham Back To Backs by Public Transport
- Buses: 80,82,87,98,99.
Restaurants Near Birmingham Back To Backs
- China Town Noodle Bar
- The Loft Lounge
- The Green Room
- Cafe Soya
- Chung Yung Garden Cantonese
- The Caribbean Buffet
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Birmingham before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Birmingham and book an accommodation of your choice.
Birmingham Back To Backs, Birmingham Reviews - Write a Review
Great place to visit for all the family. You need to book a timed entry before you arrive to ensure a successful visit. The escorted tour takes about ninety minutes. You are taken through different rooms and levels of five stories. Each house features different time scales. Some stairways are steep. Last remaining back to back houses. Take the tour across the centuries? Photography inside the buildings is prohibited.
The guides make this such a fantastic way to spend a few hours. The buildings in national trust style contain very little written interpretive material, except for the introduction area, but they do capture a snapshot of what life would have been like. As mentioned the guides are what makes this memorable though. Tours are guide led and they tend to be friendly knowledge and humorous. Perfect!
We have been here today with friends, 4 adults and 4 children. The girls youngest aged 4 and oldest nearly 13 had a fantastic time. The tour guide John was amazing! He captured the imagination of the girls and made you really feel like you could have lived there. Would definitely recommend a visit to back to back. Thank you John a National Trust visit we will never forget x
I've lived in Birmingham all my life (31 years of it) and I never visited the back to backs. Having recently joined the National Trust I finally went and what a fascinating place. The guided tour which is about 90 minute kept my captivated, Jeff the tour guide is a credit to the place for his knowledge and humour. Well worth going if you are ever in Birmingham!
Great little bit of Birmingham’s history delivered by people who care about it. We had a lovely time and as we are National Trust members we didn’t have to pay. Make sure that you book first though, especially if you want to take the guided tour, which is extremely informative.
- Nearby Attractions