Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery423 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Chamberlain Square, Birmingham B3 3DH, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1213488007
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Art Gallery, Family And Kids, Arts And Crafts, Exhibition
The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is one of the best kept secrets of the city. Situated in the city centre, what makes this place so unique is its huge collection of fine arts, ceramics, metal work, jewellery, artefacts from archaeology, ethnography as well as Birmingham’s local and industrial past, all of which are of immense global importance. It also houses an impressive collection of rare paintings from the Pre Raphaelite and Victorian eras, not to mention a sprawling decor which qualifies the museum itself as a work of art.
The Museum and Art Gallery was first opened in 1885, and the building it is housed in is as much a masterpiece as the numerous displays inside. In fact, you can spot some exquisite sculptures over the entrances to the museum itself. Be sure to take at least a few good hours off if you want to experience the Museum in its full glory. Some of the exhibits are so enchanting, that you may just find yourself glued to a particularly interesting painting for a lot longer than you think!
You will find that the arts and objects in the Museum span over seven centuries of European and World culture. So if you're a lover of Greek, Roman or Egyptian history, this is one place that will not disappoint you.
One of the best things about the Museum is that they house many brilliant temporary exhibits on various fields.
The Art Gallery has an extensive collection of paintings, from some of the most renowned painters Europe has produced.
You will also be impressed by their range of artefacts, including coins from the Middle Ages and a number of relics from Ancient India, Cyprus, Egypt and Classical Greece that are over two thousand years old.
Once you're finished exploring this majestic Museum, you can take a nice evening stroll along the Birmingham streets outside. You can also reminisce about the marvellous day you just had in one of the many delicious eateries that you find along the way. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Birmingham itinerary 1 day.
Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery Travel Tips
- Avoid getting there too late as they are quite particular about the 5:00 pm closing time, which could lead to a rush.
- Don’t forget to visit the gift shop, as they have a range of good quality souvenirs at reasonable prices.
- The food and drink service is good, and although there are no drinks for the little ones, the staff is quite helpful and may be able to assist you with the same.
- There is no car park, but you can use the designated street parking or a pay and park, both of which are close by.
- Remember to visit the newly refurbished Tea Room, a cosy nook where you can enjoy your evening tea in classic English fashion.
- Allow yourself plenty of time if you’re planning to see the full museum, as it is a lot bigger and absorbing than you think!
- Due to the vast expanse of the museum, time your visit to each exhibit to experience them all in one day.
- The art gallery is famous for its collection of Pre Raphaelite paintings, which is a must for any visitor.
- Keep checking the official website to stay updated as they are always setting up new exhibits that may be open while you’re visiting.
Entrance Ticket Details For Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery
- Although entrance is free, there is usually an entry charge at the Gas Hall in Birmingham Museum.
- Some exhibitions and events inside the premises may charge a ticket price.
Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery Hours
- Open on all bank holidays.
How to Reach Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery
- Bus Nos: 9, 10, 22, 23, 23A, 24, 29, 29A 120, 127, 128, 129, 140, 141. Stop: Art Gallery
- Tram: Midland Metro stop Snow Hill
- Walking distance from New Street, Snow Hill and Moor Street railway stations.
- Light Railway: Wolverhampton to Snow Hill
- Nando’s Chicken
- Asha’s Contemporary Indian Bar & Restaurant
- Bodega Bar & Cantina
- Bella Italia
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Birmingham before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Birmingham and book an accommodation of your choice.
43.03% of people who visit Birmingham include Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
87.5% of people start their Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery
65.96% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Birmingham Museum And Art Gallery