How to Reach Birmingham, United Kingdom
The Easiest Way to Reach Birmingham
- By Air: Birmingham International Airport is a major airport situated just outside the city, in Solihull, about 8 miles east of central Birmingham, serving the city and the rest of the West Midlands region with frequent domestic and international flights.
- By Train: Birmingham is a major hub of Britain's rail network. The main station is New Street, with Snow Hill and Moor Street carrying significantly fewer services, but include superior service from London Marylebone station. New Street also has faster, but more expensive, services to London Euston.
- By Boat: Due to its industrial heritage, Birmingham has an extensive canal network and is on both the "Worcester & Birmingham" and "Grand Union" canals. Visitors travelling by narrowboat can choose from several tourist moorings, managed privately or by British Waterways.
- By Taxi: Birmingham is well sign-posted and surrounded by motorways; the M42, the M5, and the M6 which includes the infamous Spaghetti Junction (Gravelly Hill Interchange).
- By Tram: Birmingham has a single metro line, running between Snow Hill Station and Wolverhampton, via the Jewellery Quarter, West Bromwich, Wednesbury and Bilston. Plans are afoot to extend the service out to Five Ways, via the City Centre and along Broad Street.
- By Bus: All areas of Birmingham are well-served by bus routes, operated almost exclusively by National Express West Midlands (NXWM) with some competition from smaller providers, notably Diamond Buses this is the most itinerary planner friendly way around Birmingham.
- By Train: There is an extensive overland rail network serving most of Birmingham and the West Midlands area, operated mainly by London Midland. Route maps and timetables are available from libraries, tourist information offices and railway stations.
- By Car: Birmingham's city centre is partially pedestrianized and has several unintuitive one-way systems. A car is a viable way of getting around the city and other areas, but a good map or sat-nav is essential.
- By Taxi: Birmingham has an abundance of taxi ranks all over the city, the best-served being New Street Station. Both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles are easy to find, but you should exercise caution and not get into an unmarked car or one you haven't booked.
Explore the route planner online for your visit to Birmingham and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Modes of Transportation in Birmingham
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Birmingham. The most preferred mode of transport in Birmingham is Walking.
Average distance: 9.22 km Average time: 34.17 min
Walking 23.08%Walking 20 min Train 8.33 min Driving 3.33 min Waiting 1.67 min Overall average time for 5.47 kms 33.33 min
Car 15.38%Driving 17.5 min Overall average time for 6.68 kms 17.5 min
Tram/Streetcar 15.38%Tram 20 min Walking 15 min Bus 5 min Waiting 5 min Overall average time for 15.63 kms 45 min
Bus/Trolleybus 15.38%Bus 24 min Waiting 5.5 min Walking 5.5 min Overall average time for 6.92 kms 35 min
Train/Metro 15.38%Train 25 min Walking 10 min Waiting 7.5 min Overall average time for 12.87 kms 42.5 min
Bike 7.69%Bike 30 min Overall average time for 10 kms 30 min
- How to Reach Cities Near Birmingham
- How to reach Northampton
- How to reach Manchester
- How to reach Liverpool
- How to reach Bristol
- How to reach Bath
- How to reach Leeds
- How to reach Burslem
- How to reach South Leigh
- How to reach Lower Gornal
- How to Reach Top Cities in United Kingdom
- How to reach London
- How to reach Edinburgh
- How to reach St Andrews
- How to reach Plymouth
- How to reach Southampton
- How to reach Isle Of Skye
- How to reach Balloch
- How to reach Houghton Le Spring
- How to reach Ruislip
- How to Reach Cities Around the World
- How to reach Paris
- How to reach Prague
- How to reach Rome
- How to reach Rio De Janeiro
- How to reach Miami
- How to reach Barcelona
- How to reach Mechanicsburg
- How to reach Port Washington North
- How to reach Lutry