Old Idaho Penitentiary118 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 2445 Old Penitentiary Rd, Boise, ID 83712, USA, 83712, United States
- Timings: 12:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-2083342844
- Fax: +1-2083343225
- Ticket Price: 6 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Social, Arts, Museums
The Old Idaho Penitentiary State Historic Site is today one of the top attractions in Boise. A functional prison from 1872 to 1973, this building was also known as Territorial Prison. This prison was in operation for almost 101 years and is today open to the public to explore. Some of the prison building that are worth checking out include the Territorial Prison, a Chapel, the New Cell House, the Rose Garden, the Administration Building, the False Front Buildings, the many Cell House, and so much more.
Old Idaho Penitentiary Travel Tips
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Camera bags, tripod and other equipments are not allowed. The camera can be carried, though.
Entrance Ticket Details For Old Idaho Penitentiary
- Senior (60+)- 4 USD
- Child (6-12 yrs)- 3 USD
- Free for children under 5.
- Group discounts are available. Contact the authority for more info.
Old Idaho Penitentiary Hours
- Open 7 days of a week excluding most state holidays.
- Summer Hours (Memorial Day through Labor Day): 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Earl Museum closes at 4:30 PM.
- Admissions close forty-five minutes before the closing time.
- Lock up begins at 4:45 PM.
Guided tours available-
- Monday and Thursday - 2:30 PM (Depends on Volunteer’s availability)
- Saturday and Sunday - 12:30 PM and 2:30 PM
How to Reach Old Idaho Penitentiary
- Bus Station: Old Penitentiary & Warm Springs
- By Taxi
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Boise before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Boise and book an accommodation of your choice.
23.51% of people who visit Boise include Old Idaho Penitentiary in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
57.14% of people start their Old Idaho Penitentiary visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Old Idaho Penitentiary
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old Idaho Penitentiary
Old Idaho Penitentiary Reviews & Ratings
They have preserved things very well and have so much information and history posted throughout the Pen for you to read. They also have a very extensive weapons museum in the back of the lot that was extremely informative and very cool to look at. I came here with children and adults and everyone thought it was all very interesting. There are obviously adult themes being discussed on the placards so if you aren’t wanting to be exposed to that, be aware.
Great tour! Such great and interesting stories and things to see here. Our tour guide Leslie was awesome!! Very informative and quick witted. Highly recommend! Just make sure if you small children (or if you’re sensitive) make sure you don’t mind them hearing about murders and executions.
My sister and I went on a tour 2 days ago. Our experience was amazing. Jack, not only gave us factual information, but also interesting stories. We will recommend this tour to many of our friends. Thanks again. Dianne & Sandy
Idaho's old Penn is a wonderful place for all those with a curious mind. It boggles the mind to think that it only closed in 1973 because when you step in you feel like you're stepping into something hundreds of years old. There's a lot of walking, and it can get pretty hot out there in the summertime. But those conditions also help you imagine what it was like for the inmates to live there. I highly recommend this for anybody who has an interest in our country's history, the beginnings of Boise, and maybe a little interest in the Paranormal.
Had a great time with my sister from out of state. She loved it as well as I. Being able to walk the grounds and see the cells that prisoners were housed in was awesome. Great place to take the whole family.