Old Idaho PenitentiaryCurrently Closed
- Address: 2445 Old Penitentiary Rd, Boise, ID 83712, USA, 83712, United States
- Timings: 12:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-2083342844
- Fax: +1-2083343225
- Ticket Price: 6 USD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Exhibition , Social, Arts, Museums
The Old Idaho Penitentiary State Historic Site is today one of the top attractions in Boise. A functional prison from 1872 to 1973, this building was also known as Territorial Prison. This prison was in operation for almost 101 years and is today open to the public to explore. Some of the prison building that are worth checking out include the Territorial Prison, a Chapel, the New Cell House, the Rose Garden, the Administration Building, the False Front Buildings, the many Cell House, and so much more.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Camera bags, tripod and other equipments are not allowed. The camera can be carried, though.
- Senior (60+)- 4 USD
- Child (6-12 yrs)- 3 USD
- Free for children under 5.
- Group discounts are available. Contact the authority for more info.
- Open 7 days of a week excluding most state holidays.
- Summer Hours (Memorial Day through Labor Day): 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Earl Museum closes at 4:30 PM.
- Admissions close forty-five minutes before the closing time.
- Lock up begins at 4:45 PM.
Guided tours available-
- Monday and Thursday - 2:30 PM (Depends on Volunteer’s availability)
- Saturday and Sunday - 12:30 PM and 2:30 PM
- Bus Station: Old Penitentiary & Warm Springs
- By Taxi
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Boise before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Boise and book an accommodation of your choice.
24.53% of people who visit Boise include Old Idaho Penitentiary in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
57.14% of people start their Old Idaho Penitentiary visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Old Idaho Penitentiary
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Old Idaho Penitentiary
We have been wanting to visit over the past three years and my wife jumped at the chance to get tickets for Halloween this year. It felt like one big costume party and while I did have a fantastic time, I was expecting it to be a bit more scary and creepy similar to the Lowe Files episode. I would recommend to everyone to check it out for themselves to come to their own conclusions.
Very neat place. Staff are friendly and you can walk around for self tour or take a tour. Everything seems fairly well preserved. Always amazing to see Idaho's history. Also, the gun collection is astonishing.
If you're a history buff, then the Old Idaho Penitentiary is definitely for you! What my wife and I thought would be a quick walk-through turned into a 2 1/2 hour tour of the faculity, with plenty of stories to go along. Our tour guide, David, was great. This is well worth your time and money (only $6 for adults).
I love the Old Idaho State Penitentiary. I am a Paranormal Investigator who gets the privilege of exploring & learning more & more about this old prison. I hope to be able to help contribute more each year to help keep this place running! It's a beautiful piece of history we have & it's important to preserve our history.
We really enjoyed our visit. Parking is limited so be prepared to do a little walking. There's a free guided tour that I highly recommend. Taking part in the tour is the only way you'll actually be able to go inside a cell as well as other areas of the prison. Bring plenty of water because drinking fountains are very very few and far between. The gift shop has a nice little selection of souvenirs and also has cold water for $2 per bottle.