Museo Di Palazzo PoggiCurrently Closed
- Address: Via Zamboni, 33, 40126 Bologna, Italy
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: 39051-2099610
- Ticket Price: 3 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art Museums, Science Museums, History Museums, Tour, Historical Site, Palace, Architecture , Specialty Museums, Natural History Museums, Heritage Building
Unlike all other art and architectural centric museums in Bologna, the museum of palazzo poggi covers numerous intriguing topics like the military sciences, zoology, astronomy and genecology etc.
Built in 1560, the building is a former house of Alessandro Poggi and Giovanni Poggi. In 1714 it became the institute of sciences with the addition of tower of observatory (1725) and the library in (1744). The institute was a key part of the University of Bologna especially during the age of enlightenment.
Currently the museum is divided into the following rooms:
Carducci Rooms- Once the main classroom of poet Giosuè Carducci now houses a statue of Hercules by Angelo Pio.
- Naval and antiques maps and charts museum- Is ideally the Geography and Nautical room. The room contains various models of ships that were of strategic importance for Bologna during the war time. What takes away the cake are the copper engraved maps on the walls with writings, ornamental motifs, and decorations depicting human, animal and allegorical figures.
- Museum of Military Architecture- Designed by Luigi Ferdinando Marsili, the room contains plans of fortification that were designed by some of the eminent civilians of that time. The room beautifully describes the art of town planning.
- Museum of Human Anatomy- Contains the anatomic wax collection of 18th century. The collection is very informative in nature and gives extensive knowledge on anatomy of human being.
- Obstetrical Museum- Housing experience of Giovan Antonio Gali, this room is a blend of theory and the practical know-how.
- Museum of natural history- The collection of the room stands out from others of the same theme because of the skilful blend scientific methods and artistic skills to observe nature and reproduce them. The main subjects are: geology, mineralogy, paleontology, botany, zoology and comparative anatomy.
The museum staff is very friendly and guided tours can be arranged. It is a must visit and a great change from other museums of Bologna.
- Go early to get a guide.
- For students, Bologna University employees, disabled people, over 65 : EUR 1
- For two adults and one child : EUR 5
- Free for children below 6 years of age, tour leaders, escorts of disabled, journalists with a card.
- Admission is free for Museo della Specola (Museum of Astronomical Observatory).
- Bus- 88 meters, line: C and T2
- ITIT Il Sandwich Cafè
- Cucchiaio d'Oro
- Trattoria Bottega dè Facchini
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bologna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bologna and book an accommodation of your choice.
16.41% of people who visit Bologna include Museo Di Palazzo Poggi in their plan
84.85% of people start their Museo Di Palazzo Poggi visit around 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Museo Di Palazzo Poggi
65.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Museo Di Palazzo Poggi
Really cool place. Tickets are pretty cheep given all the things that you can see. Upstairs, there is also museum of students and university which is free of charge and definitely worth seeing.
Really interesting and unique museum. I'd say the maps and the anatomic models are unmissable. The ones showing all the different ways a fetus could be in the womb (or showing doctors hands to demonstrate how to remove the placenta) are creepy but interesting. Same for La Venerina, the sexualised wax figure of a dying pregnant woman, whose skin can be lifted so her inner organs can be examined. It really tells us much about the history of science. When I was there last time they had two interesting exhibits, on the science that inspired the writing of Frankenstein and on Japanese images.
Cool wax museum. It's quite small. Expect to be done seeing everything in less than 45 mins. Still worth checking out if you're under 27. 3 euros. 5 euros otherwise.
Very nice museum with an interesting collection.
beautiful museum! has to be one of my favourites in bologna!