Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna941 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Via delle Belle Arti, 56, 40126 Bologna, Italy
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: 39051-4209411
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Tags: Art And Culture, Art Museums, Art Gallery, Museums, Educational Site, Exhibition
Bologna’s national art gallery, houses collection from over 13the century is a delight for the ones with an eye for paintings. These paintings are majorly curated from churches and monasteries that were abolished by Napoleonic army and was moved to this picture gallery. By the 19th century many other important art work were added to this wonderful collection. The massive augmentation was made in 1878, over 40 thousand rare paintings and close to about 1000 drawings were added to the world class collection. After the First World War major restoration activity took place and PinacotecaNazionale became Europe’s most important art gallery.
The gallery is divided in to the following sections:
- 13th and 14th Centuries Painting: This contains both Bolognese and non-Bolognese artists, among the Bolognese artist the art work include ‘St. George and the dragon’, ‘Stories of St. Antonio’ fresco cycle of St. Apollonia di Mezzaratta. Others include works like ‘Polyptych with holy virgin and saints’.
- Renaissance: This section contains the art production of the early bolognese Renaissance, with works by Francesco delCossa, Lorenzo Costa and Francesco Francia. In this section you can see other paintings which are not by bolognese artists, but anyway they are linked to the local culture, such as the well-known "Ecstasy of St. Cecilia" by Raffaello and "Holy Virgin with the infant Jesus and Saints" by Perugino.
- Mannerism: It contains the works of artists of the second half of the 16th century, among which Federico Barocci, Bartolomeo Passerotti, Giorgio Vasari, Prospero Fontana e Bartolomeo Cesi. The severity of their representations acts as an intermediary between this room and the one dedicated to the Carracci.
- The Carracci: The most important works of art by Ludovico, Annibale and Agostino Carracci are in this room. Around the end of the 16th century the Carracci founded an Art Academy, the AccademiadegliIncamminati. Their skill was the reformation of art trough a return to the natural instead of the intellectualism of the Mannerism. Ludovico works show the high spirituality of the Counter-Reformation and the simplicity of everyday life; some examples are ‘The Annunciation’, the ‘Conversion of St. Paul’, the ‘Bargellini Holy Virgin’.An early masterpiece by Guercino, the ‘Clothing of St. Guglielmo’marks the end of this section.
- Guido Reni: The paintings by Guido Reni are in the wide hall that connects the Carracci room with the Baroque corridor. The artist is the main exponent of the Classical Ideal of the 17th century and he realized intense religious iconographies.
- Baroque age and 18th century Carlo Cignani takes the cake when it comes to 18th century art work, he expresses the academic tradition.
- The entire walk through all the rooms will show you the various techniques used by these great artists and how they were developed through the ages. Since there are no guided tours nor audio books it might get a little difficult for a non-enthusiast to understand the importance of the varied collection. However it is a pure heaven for all the art lovers out there. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Bologna itinerary 3 days.
Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna Travel Tips
- All the areas are wheelchair accessible.
- There are no eateries on site.
- Guided tours or audio books are not available.
- To have your free or reduced ticket please present at the entrance the document certifying the actual membership of the specific category.
- Reservations are required for a group entry.
Entrance Ticket Details For Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna
For members of European community between the ages of 18 to 25 : EUR 2
Free entry for :
- Less than 18 and more than 65 years old (valid only for members of European Community).
- Teachers and students members of University: Architecture, Conservation of Cultural Heritage, Letters and Philosophy (Archeology, History of Art), Academy of Fine Arts
- Touristic guides, during their activities.
- Touristic interpreters, during their activities.
- Journalists, during their activities.
- Members of Mibac (Ministry of Cultural Heritage).
- Members of I.C.O.M. (International Council of Museums).
- Students groups from public and private schools, with their teachers.
- Disabled people and their relative or companion.
- Operators of voluntary associations (spread and promotion about cultural heritage).
Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna Hours
- Last entry is 30 minutes before closing time.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bologna before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bologna and book an accommodation of your choice.
42.05% of people who visit Bologna include Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
30.11% of people start their Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna
56.25% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pinacoteca Nazionale Di Bologna