Are you looking for what to do in Bologna?
WHAT TO SEE
Neighbourhoods and Parks
- Piazza Maggiore: 15th century square surrounded by terrific architecture.
- Santo Stefano: A complex of religious edifices, some from Late Antiquity.
- Via dell'Indipendenza.
- Via Rizzoli: Bologna’s main street.
- University Quarter: Europe’s oldest University at 900 years.
- Margherita Gardens
- Orto Botanico: The Botanical Gardens.
- Santuario di Madonna di San Luca: A beautiful Baroque Basilica.
- Basilica di San Petronio: Bologna’s main church, 15th largest in the world.
- Santa Maria della Vita: Stunning Gothic/Renaissance/Baroque Church.
- Cattedrale di San Pietro: 12th century cathedral that’s the seat of the Archbishop.
- Chiesa di San Francesco: 13th century Romanesque Church and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Basilica di San Domenico: Prototype of Dominican Chruches.
- Chiesa di San Giacomo Maggiore.
- Museo per la Memoria di Ustica: A commemoration of the massacre at Ustica.
- Compianto sul Cristo Morto: An incredible painting.
- Archiginnasio di Bologna: Important library and former 16th century university building.
- Museo di Palazzo Poggi: University HQ and excellent science museum.
- Museum of the History of Bologna.
- Biblioteca Salaborsa: A rich library.
- Pinacoteca Nazionale: National Art Gallery filled with masterworks.
- San Colombano: Collezione Tagliavini – a collection of ancient musical instruments.
- Museo Civico Archeologico: Civic archeology.
- Lambhorgini Museum: No explanation needed.
- Ducatti Museum: No explanation needed.
- Palazzo Fava: Site of the famous Girl with a Pearl Earring painting.
- Museo Internazionale e Biblioteca della Musica: A library of music.
- Medieval Museum
- Museo Ebraico: A Jewish Museum.
- Philharmonic Academy: The works of Mozart, Verdi and Beethoven are preserved here.
- Palazzo Comunale: Rennaisance paintings.
Monuments and History
- Towers of the Asinelli and Garisenda: Two distinct, leaning towers with a rich history.
- Fontana del Nettuno: Bronze 16th century Fountain of Neptune.
- Oratorio di Santa Cecilia.
- Teatro Anatomico: 17th century Inquisition body dissection theatre.
- Torre Prendiparte: 900 year old tower and Bed and Breakfast (for couples).
- Certosa di Bologna: A beautiful monumental cemetery.
Below we have a list of things to do in Bologna and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Bologna getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Bologna with confidence.