Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens185 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Dixstraße 41, 53225 Bonn, Germany
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Phone: +49-228461609
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Doppelkirche St. Maria und St. Clemens is one of the most important double Romanesque churchesin Germany. The Bonn church is a 12th century monument with high sentimental value for the locals owing to the connection with the Benedictine nunnery of Schwarzrheindorf.It is inspired by the designs of Charlemagne's Palatine Chapel at Aachen Cathedral and Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.
- The grave of Arnold von Wied
- The Heavenly Jerusalem Spring room
- Dwarf gallery
- Nun’s choir
- Christ in Majesty (Majestas Domini)
- Mural paintings
- Osterrieder Crib
- Madonna Figure
Famous for its 12th century frescos, the DoppelkircheSchwarzrheindorf is located on a slopping terrace plot close to Rhine. The Upper church is dedicated to Virgin Mary- Mother of God while the lower church is ordained as Holy Clemens dedicated to Pope Clement I.It was commissioned in 1151 by Arnold II Von Wied as a private chapel and later turned into a monastery under the orders of his sister- Hadwig. The present site was excavated in the 19th century and restored in 1863.
Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens Travel Tips
- It figures in local maps as the Double Church of St. Mary and St. Clement.
- Maintain silence and switch off your cell phones ones inside the church.
- Use of camera inside the alley is prohibited.
- Wear slippers/ sandals as you may have to remove them to access some parts of the church.
- Always use the rails while taking a flight of stairs to upper levels.
- Some areas are restricted to only selected population as per papal regulations.
How to Reach Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens
- Train: Bonn Central
- Bus No: SB60, Bus stop: Bonn's central bus station near the Hauptbahnhof.
- Smoky Doky Bonn
- Shokuyoku Japanese Sushi & Grill
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bonn before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bonn and book an accommodation of your choice.
20.81% of people who visit Bonn include Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
29.41% of people start their Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Doppelkirche St. Maria Und St. Clemens