How to Reach Bratislava
HOW TO GET TO BRATISLAVA
- Bratislava Milan Rastislav StefAnik Airport is located around 10 kilometers away from the city and is the largest airport in the Slovak Republic. There are direct flights from United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Italy, Belgium and Spain among other countries.
- Other airlines offer flights from Prague, Kosice, Moscow, Vienna, Copenhagen and Oslo.
- You can take the trolleybus 205 to Autobusová stanica (Bus station) to reach the city from the airport or opt for Taxis or Public Busses.
- Vienna International Airport / Wien Schwechat is another airport located around 50 kilometers from Bratislava (located in Austria) and connects the city to Vienna and Wolfsthal among other cities.
- The EC trains are a preferred way to get into the city especially if you are travelling on budget. You can book tickets online for most trains and get them at a cheaper rate.
- Most of the international trains take you to the Bratislava hlavná stanica. Vienna is connected to Bratislava by regular trains (duration of 1 hour).
- The EC trains connect Prague to Bratislava in a 4-hour journey train which departs every 2 hours while EC trains to Prague take around 9 hours, Budapest takes 3 hours’ journey time, Warsaw takes around 7 hours and Kiev takes around 28 hours’ from Bratislava.
- Busses connect Bratislava to all the major and minor cities throughout Slovakia and also major European cities like London, Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Paris among other cities. The tickets can be booked online as well as bought at the bus stations.
- Regular boats are available from Vienna throughout the fall season which sail through the Danube to reach Bratislava. The boats depart from Schwedenplatz in Vienna and arrive at Novy Most.
By kayak and canoe
- The Danube is known for its cross country Kayak and Canoes tours. Usually people camp along the shores and prefer to accompany a well-organized tour rather than travel solo.
- If you are travelling from northern Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Austria or Czech Republic, you can enter the city through its many Motorways. Do know that your car will need a sticker to enter the motorways as they have limited access. These stickers can be bought at local gas stations. For a privately owned car, you will need a parking ticket to park the car safely in the city.
- Bratislava is one of the popular Biking routes along the Danube and if you enjoy bike riding, these routes are the perfect way to see the city.
HOW TO GET AROUND BRATISLAVA
- Busses are the slowest means to travel around the capital city of Slovakia but if you are first-time visitor it is well worth the time. Do know that the tickets are valid for 15 minutes after which you have to punch in for another 15 minutes between stops? You need to buy the tickets before you enter a bus at the bus station.
The main bus stands are:
- Hodzovo namestie (Presidential palace) offer busses for northwest and east bound bus connections.
- Most SNP (close to St. Martin's Cathedral and the Danube banks) for west bound busses.
The main busses operate from 4.30 am to 11.00 pm.
By Trams/ Light Rail:
- Trams are a great way to take in the city space and explore its main streets. Tickets are available at Tram stops.
- The main Tram station is at Poštová (pedestrian area at Obchodná street). The main Trams operate from 4.30 am to 11.00 pm. For night travel up to 3.30 am you will need to go to Presidential palace.
- The ‘Trolejbus’ is yet another hassle free way to travel around Bratislava. You can get the tickets at the Trolleybus stations.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Bratislava. The most preferred mode of transport in Bratislava is Bus/Trolleybus.
Average distance: 8.53 km Average time: 30.17 min
Bus/Trolleybus 33.85%Bus 21.5 min Walking 6.95 min Waiting 5.77 min Other 0.45 min Overall average time for 7.13 kms 34.68 min
Walking 18.46%Walking 19 min Tram 2.5 min Waiting 1.58 min Bike 0.42 min Train 0.33 min Bus 0.25 min Overall average time for 2.82 kms 24.08 min
Tram/Streetcar 4.62%Tram 22.67 min Waiting 5 min Walking 4.33 min Bus 2.33 min Overall average time for 8.67 kms 34.33 min
Car 26.15%Driving 21.94 min Walking 1.18 min Overall average time for 11.35 kms 23.12 min
Bike 7.69%Bike 19.4 min Walking 0.2 min Overall average time for 5.8 kms 19.6 min
Train/Metro 4.62%Train 31.67 min Waiting 16.67 min Walking 13.33 min Bus 8.33 min Tram 1.67 min Overall average time for 31.67 kms 71.67 min