How to Reach Bratislava - The Easiest Way to Reach Bratislava
HOW TO GET TO BRATISLAVA
- Bratislava Milan Rastislav StefAnik Airport is located around 10 kilometers away from the city and is the largest airport in the Slovak Republic. There are direct flights from United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Italy, Belgium and Spain among other countries.
- Other airlines offer flights from Prague, Kosice, Moscow, Vienna, Copenhagen and Oslo.
- You can take the trolleybus 205 to Autobusová stanica (Bus station) to reach the city from the airport or opt for Taxis or Public Busses.
- Vienna International Airport / Wien Schwechat is another airport located around 50 kilometers from Bratislava (located in Austria) and connects the city to Vienna and Wolfsthal among other cities.
- The EC trains are a preferred way to get into the city especially if you are travelling on budget. You can book tickets online for most trains and get them at a cheaper rate.
- Most of the international trains take you to the Bratislava hlavná stanica. Vienna is connected to Bratislava by regular trains (duration of 1 hour).
- The EC trains connect Prague to Bratislava in a 4-hour journey train which departs every 2 hours while EC trains to Prague take around 9 hours, Budapest takes 3 hours’ journey time, Warsaw takes around 7 hours and Kiev takes around 28 hours’ from Bratislava.
- Busses connect Bratislava to all the major and minor cities throughout Slovakia and also major European cities like London, Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Paris among other cities. The tickets can be booked online as well as bought at the bus stations.
- Regular boats are available from Vienna throughout the fall season which sail through the Danube to reach Bratislava. The boats depart from Schwedenplatz in Vienna and arrive at Novy Most.
By kayak and canoe
- The Danube is known for its cross country Kayak and Canoes tours. Usually people camp along the shores and prefer to accompany a well-organized tour rather than travel solo.
- If you are travelling from northern Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Austria or Czech Republic, you can enter the city through its many Motorways. Do know that your car will need a sticker to enter the motorways as they have limited access. These stickers can be bought at local gas stations. For a privately owned car, you will need a parking ticket to park the car safely in the city.
- Bratislava is one of the popular Biking routes along the Danube and if you enjoy bike riding, these routes are the perfect way to see the city.
HOW TO GET AROUND BRATISLAVA
- Busses are the slowest means to travel around the capital city of Slovakia but if you are first-time visitor it is well worth the time. Do know that the tickets are valid for 15 minutes after which you have to punch in for another 15 minutes between stops? You need to buy the tickets before you enter a bus at the bus station.
The main bus stands are:
- Hodzovo namestie (Presidential palace) offer busses for northwest and east bound bus connections.
- Most SNP (close to St. Martin's Cathedral and the Danube banks) for west bound busses.
The main busses operate from 4.30 am to 11.00 pm.
By Trams/ Light Rail:
- Trams are a great way to take in the city space and explore its main streets. Tickets are available at Tram stops.
- The main Tram station is at Poštová (pedestrian area at Obchodná street). The main Trams operate from 4.30 am to 11.00 pm. For night travel up to 3.30 am you will need to go to Presidential palace.
- The ‘Trolejbus’ is yet another hassle free way to travel around Bratislava. You can get the tickets at the Trolleybus stations.
Are you looking for a Bratislava travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Bratislava
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Bratislava. The most preferred mode of transport in Bratislava is Car.
Average distance: 8.66 km Average time: 30.1 min
Car 31.37%Driving 21.44 min Walking 1.25 min Overall average time for 11.44 kms 22.69 min
Walking 19.61%Walking 23.6 min Driving 1.6 min Waiting 1.3 min Tram 1.2 min Bike 0.5 min Train 0.4 min Bus 0.3 min Overall average time for 3.07 kms 28.9 min
Tram/Streetcar 3.92%Tram 27 min Waiting 7 min Walking 5 min Bus 3.5 min Overall average time for 10.5 kms 42.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 29.41%Bus 21.4 min Walking 7.73 min Waiting 5.53 min Overall average time for 6.99 kms 34.67 min
Bike 7.84%Bike 20.5 min Walking 0.25 min Overall average time for 6.5 kms 20.75 min
Train/Metro 1.96%Train 45 min Waiting 20 min Walking 20 min Bus 10 min Overall average time for 55 kms 95 min
How to Reach Bratislava from Nearby Cities
|Sládkovičovo to Bratislava||59.2 km||59 mins|
|Vienna to Bratislava||82.15 km||1 hour 22 mins|
|Nitra to Bratislava||110.35 km||1 hour 50 mins|
|Holesov to Bratislava||136.07 km||2 hours 16 mins|
|Prostějov to Bratislava||140.62 km||2 hours 20 mins|
|Zilina to Bratislava||214.02 km||3 hours 34 mins|
|Varaždin to Bratislava||214.04 km||3 hours 34 mins|
|Graz to Bratislava||218.15 km||3 hours 38 mins|
|Dolní cerekev to Bratislava||223.5 km||3 hours 43 mins|
|Budapest to Bratislava||225.49 km||3 hours 45 mins|