Bremen Town Hall And SquareCurrently Closed
- Address: Am Markt 21, 28195 Bremen, Germany
- Timings: 09:00 am - 03:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-4213616132
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Mall, Market, Shopping Center, Family And Kids, Architecture
You’re looking at a rare treat – the only European Medieval town hall that hasn’t been destroyed or altered (too much) since it was first built. A pinnacle of Gothic brick architecture, this townhouse was built in the 15th century – and it’s also a fantastic example of Weser Renaissance architecture. Much of Bremen’s most important political events have happened within its walls (the guided tour will tell you all about it). It is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- The incredibly ornate facade
- The Golden Chamber – gilded leather wallpapers, and decorated in pure Art Noveau
- Germany’s oldest barrel of wine in the basement
- The Upper Hall – an important political meeting room; check out the model ship hanging from the ceiling
- The fireplace room
- The Gobelin Room
The town hall looks over a market square and the famous 600-year-old Bremen Roland statue – an international symbol for freedom and trading rights. Also in the square is the famous statue of the Bremen Town Musicians (Bremer Stadtmusikanten) – a sculpture based on the popular Grimm Brother’s Fairytale. It’s supposed to give luck to whoever touches the statue’s donkey legs – that’s probably why so much of the bronze burnish has worn away.
Bremen Town Hall And Square Travel Tips
- The best way to tour the hall is by guided tour. These may be booked at +49(0)421/30 800 10 or at the Bremen tourism website. Note that there are no tours on the day of senate meetings. Ask the Tourist Information Office for complete details before your visit.
How to Reach Bremen Town Hall And Square
- 2,3,6,8 Stop Obernstrasse
- 1,1E, 3E, 4, 6, 8, N1, N4 stop Bremen Schüsselkorb
- 24, 25, 26, 27, 63, N3, N5 stop Bremen Domsheide
- 24, 24E, 25, 26, 27, 63, 63E, N3, N5 stop Bremen Schüsselkorb
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bremen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bremen and book an accommodation of your choice.
93.61% of people who visit Bremen include Bremen Town Hall And Square in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
89.36% of people start their Bremen Town Hall And Square visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Bremen Town Hall And Square
66.67% of people prefer walking in order to reach Bremen Town Hall And Square