St. Peter's CathedralCurrently Closed
- Address: Sandstraße 10-12, 28195 Bremen, Germany
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-421365040
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
This is another jewel in the Markplatz’s cap. The cathedral’s two front 99 metre high towers dominate Bremen’s skyline (you can climb one of them for a magnificent view of Bremen). Initially a Romanesque structure, it got a Gothic makeover in the 15th century. It’s remarkable the church even exists – Bremen cathedrals are famous for the sheer number of times they’ve been destroyed and rebuilt (this one was nearly ruined permanently during the WWII bombings). But today, it’s been restored to its high Gothic glory. The highlights of the church are:
- Hand-carved choir stalls from 1365
- The 17th century pulpit
- Ninety notable graves in the crypt
- 8 mummies in glass topped coffins that include two Swedish officers from the Thirty Years' War, an English countess, a murdered student, and a local pauper (this is the main reason people visit)
- The five lovely organs
- Pretty stained glass windows
- The fantastic view of Bremen from atop the tower.
The cool cathedral is lovely to visit on warm days.
St. Peter's Cathedral Travel Tips
- Visit on a warm day.
Entrance Ticket Details For St. Peter's Cathedral
- Adults €1.00
- Children €0.70
Other prices may apply during festivals and concerts
- Bleikeller (crypt under Bremen Cathedral): EUR 1.40
- June – September: 10am-5:45pm
St. Peter's Cathedral Hours
- The church may be closed for private functions.
- Monday-Friday 10am-5pm
- Saturday 10am-2pm
- Sunday, public holidays 2-5pm
- Monday-Friday 10am-4.30pm
- Saturday 10am-1.30pm
- Sunday 2pm-4.30pm
Bleikeller (crypt under Bremen Cathedral)
- April to October: Wed-Fri 10am-4:45pm
- July – August: Monday-Friday: 10am-4:45pm, Saturday 10am-1:45pm, Sunday: 12pm - 4.45pm
How to Reach St. Peter's Cathedral
- 2,3,6,8 Stop Obernstrasse
- 1,1E, 3E, 4, 6, 8, N1, N4 stop Bremen Schüsselkorb
- 24, 25, 26, 27, 63, N3, N5 stop Bremen Domsheide
- 24, 24E, 25, 26, 27, 63, 63E, N3, N5 stop Bremen Schüsselkorb
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bremen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bremen and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bremen include St. Peter's Cathedral in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
42.93% of people start their St. Peter's Cathedral visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see St. Peter's Cathedral
79.26% of people prefer walking in order to reach St. Peter's Cathedral