Brest Castle National And Navy Museum244 Votes Currently Open
The castle is the town’s oldest monument, and overlooks one of the largest roadsteads in the world, a highly strategic location. Considering that it’s been use for 1700 straight years (the Romans erected the first defences here in 3rd century AD), it can effectively be called the world’s oldest castle. Look closely at its architecture, and you’ll spot a flow of changing styles – a result of the fortification constantly adapting to possible threats from the sea and land. Read up on its long and extensive history if you can! You can walk the walls of the castle for wonderful vies of the harbour and the city.
Today, the castle houses one of the five French maritime museums. Like the others, it has an extensive collection of model ships, sea instruments, weapons, paintings, sculptures and art.
Brest Castle National And Navy Museum Travel Tips
- Audioguide available in French, English, Spanish, Italian, German.
- Diabled people may have a hard time getting around.
- Check attraction website for thematic guided tours focusing on castle architecture, shipbuilding, ship decoration, life on board, the arsenal, the Laperouse expedition.
- Check out the museum shop and library.
Entrance Ticket Details For Brest Castle National And Navy Museum
- Entry price includes audio guides.
- Free entry under 26, military and civil defense personnel, unemployed, disabled.
How to Reach Brest Castle National And Navy Museum
- Ask the locals for public transport info.
- Drive or walk to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brest and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Brest include Brest Castle National And Navy Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
61.54% of people start their Brest Castle National And Navy Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Brest Castle National And Navy Museum
93.33% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Brest Castle National And Navy Museum