What an absolutely delightful old collection of buildings! 15 km from Brest, the village of Daoulas houses this old historical abbey. Most structures here date from the medieval age. The highlights are:
- A Romanesque cloister – the only one of its kind in France.
- A medicinal plant garden with 250 species from Britanny and the rest of the world.
- A monumental 16th century fountain.
- 17th century cavalry statues – 180 of them, restored by American officer John D. Skilton after WWII.
The abbey regularly holds excellent archaeological, historical or ethnological exhibitions. Around the village, you’ll find the strawberry fields that Brittany is famous for.
Daoulas Abbey Travel Tips
- Abbey and gardens are both fully disabled accessible.
- Check out the gift shop.
- Leashed dogs are allowed into the garden but not the abbey.
Entrance Ticket Details For Daoulas Abbey
- Under 7s: Free
- 7-17 years: EUR 1
- 18/25 years: EUR 4
- Unemployed, recipients of minimum welfare support, disabled persons: EUR 1
Daoulas Abbey Hours
- Timings given are for 2015, and may change later on.
How to Reach Daoulas Abbey
- Take bus/taxi/car to Daoulas from Brest or Landerneau.
- Road N165 between Brest and Quimper.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brest before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brest and book an accommodation of your choice.
48.19% of people who visit Brest include Daoulas Abbey in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
34.38% of people start their Daoulas Abbey visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Daoulas Abbey
90.65% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Daoulas Abbey
Daoulas Abbey Reviews & Ratings
So beautiful and so interesting in The most quaint french town. There is a cafe, gift shop and museum/gallery which was all really nice but the gallery exhibition was only in French which in our experience seems to be normal in this part of Brittany hence the 4stars. Still I couldn't recommend a visit hear enough especially to a gardener it's a dream day especially in early summer.
Nice garden and exhibition about hair. Quite new.
Lovely interesting exhibition and beautiful garden
At €7 per person entry, it was above our groups pay grade.
Visita agradable de la antigua Abadía y los jardines. Exposiciones temporales. Fácil paseo.