The city was founded about a thousand years ago. For many centuries Brno served as the cultural and political capital of Moravia and it still serves as the cultural one. Some of its earliest erections were the chapel that was rebuilt to the Gothic Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul and the Spilberk Castle. It’s seen various conflicts over the centuries, the most famous of which was the Thirty Years War – Brno was the only Moravian city to successfully defend itself.
Its main attractions are the Tugendhat Villa, the Punkva Caves and Macocha Abyss, Spillberk Castle and the Ossuary. The people are all quite friendly.There are about 90000 students in this city of about 400,000. This brings a high cultural demand, one that Brno fulfils with the Moravian Gallery, Moravian Museum, National Theatre Brno, and Brno City Theatre and the Brno Racing Circuit. Make sure to try our the Czech cuisine – it’s pork and potato rich!The best way to check out the city is to head over to Freedom Square as it is also known and then walk to all your preferred destinations.
The many cultures that came through here have all left their mark on the city – it’s place of beautiful architecture of many distinct influences. It’s surprisingly unfrequented by tourists despite its very prominent attractions.
Essential travel information and Brno tips for your visit
- 10% tip for service is expected.
- Carry cash for payment
- Be emotionally reserved in public.
- Open gifts when received
- Arrive on time, remove shoes outside residence
- Refuse second helpings the first time around; wait till they insist.
- Don’t expect people to smile at you all the time.
- Don’t reward bad service. This means lateness, improper behaviour etc.
- Don’t be informal with strangers
- Don’t discuss business unless invited to.
- Don’t use first names unless you’re close friends.
Brno Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Brno. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Brno trip planner.