Begijnhof Or BeguinageCurrently Closed
- Address: Beguinage, Begijnhof 30, Bruges, Belgium
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 2 EUR
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Begijnhof Or Beguinage - Review
The lives of medieval men was always under the threat of war or some sort of military operation. Over the years the surplus women formed a religious movement were they joined Sisterhoods of the Roman Catholic Church. These women lived in small gated communities, not entirely retiring from the world unlike the lifestyle at an abbey in those days. Called Beguinages they had less strict rules and regulations than abbeys and were more inclusive as well. The Beguinage of Bruges is one such small collection of houses where today the nuns of the Order of Saint Benedict reside. The houses were originally built in the 1th century. A tranquil area with quaint whitewashed houses it is perfect for a stroll and a look into a more austere and pious life. The museum there offers a glimpse into the lives of the medieval nuns and there is a church there as well with a convent garden.
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Information
- The above mentioned timings are for the museum.
- Visit early in the morning before breakfast or after lunch for a mid-afternoon stroll.
- Spend at least an hour just walking around.
- It is a calm and peaceful area. Visit for a few hours if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the tourists.
- A religious area, dress appropriately, does not make too much noise and no photographs. Respect decorum and soak up the tranquillity.
- Medieval houses that home Benedictian nuns in a small and peaceful gated community.
- There are a few parking spots in 5 minute walking distances.
- Wheelchair accessible.
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Ticket Prices
- Museum charges 2 Euros for adults, 1 Euro for students.
How To reach Begijnhof Or Beguinage by Public Transport
- Short walk from the historic centre.
Restaurants Near Begijnhof Or Beguinage
- T' Brugsch Bieratelier (bar/Belgian, moderately expensive, casual)
- Salade Folle (Eurpoean, moderately expensive, casual)
- 'T Oud Kanthuys (Belgian, moderately expensive, casual)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Begijnhof Or Beguinage
37.32% of people who visit Bruges include Begijnhof Or Beguinage in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
65.91% of people start their Begijnhof Or Beguinage visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Begijnhof Or Beguinage
63.95% of people prefer walking in order to reach Begijnhof Or Beguinage
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Trips
Begijnhof Or Beguinage, Bruges Reviews
A place for quietness and serenity. Go fir 7:30 am mass to see the old ladies saying the prayers. Heavenly
Location: In the heart of Bruge city Lighting: Good Mood: Casual Music: you will find some live performances going on Recommendation on location: great place to eat and enjoy the view of the beautiful and colorful buildings all around.
Very beautiful place to visit. If you are traveling to Brugge you can't miss this place.
A very beautiful and a must visit of attraction of Bruges. Instead of just walking around I suggest finding a guide and hearing the story of the Begjinhuisje. 8 nuns, 4 of which is from Philippines, still live here. It's possible to see them singing at the church in the morning or just walking around.
This city is the best old town in belgium.. very romantic n classic..