Begijnhof Or Beguinage, Bruges
Begijnhof Or Beguinage, Bruges - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Beguinage, Begijnhof 30, Bruges, Belgium
Ticket Price: 2 EUR
Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 12.2K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Museum, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Begijnhof Or Beguinage, Bruges
The lives of medieval men was always under the threat of war or some sort of military operation. Over the years the surplus women formed a religious movement were they joined Sisterhoods of the Roman Catholic Church. These women lived in small gated communities, not entirely retiring from the world unlike the lifestyle at an abbey in those days. Called Beguinages they had less strict rules and regulations than abbeys and were more inclusive as well. The Beguinage of Bruges is one such small collection of houses where today the nuns of the Order of Saint Benedict reside. The houses were originally built in the 1th century. A tranquil area with quaint whitewashed houses it is perfect for a stroll and a look into a more austere and pious life. The museum there offers a glimpse into the lives of the medieval nuns and there is a church there as well with a convent garden.
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Information
- The above mentioned timings are for the museum.
- Visit early in the morning before breakfast or after lunch for a mid-afternoon stroll.
- Spend at least an hour just walking around.
- It is a calm and peaceful area. Visit for a few hours if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the tourists.
- A religious area, dress appropriately, does not make too much noise and no photographs. Respect decorum and soak up the tranquillity.
- Medieval houses that home Benedictian nuns in a small and peaceful gated community.
- There are a few parking spots in 5 minute walking distances.
- Wheelchair accessible.
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Ticket Prices
- Museum charges 2 Euros for adults, 1 Euro for students.
How To reach Begijnhof Or Beguinage by Public Transport
- Short walk from the historic centre.
Restaurants Near Begijnhof Or Beguinage
- T' Brugsch Bieratelier (bar/Belgian, moderately expensive, casual)
- Salade Folle (Eurpoean, moderately expensive, casual)
- 'T Oud Kanthuys (Belgian, moderately expensive, casual)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
Begijnhof Or Beguinage Sightseeing Tours
Begijnhof Or Beguinage, Bruges Reviews - Write a Review
Peaceful and tranquil setting, needs to be appreciated accordingly. Best to visit strategically when it's empty of guided tours and crowds.
A quiet monastery in the tourist city of Bruges. Visitors are welcome for a small price. Also has a beautiful home for swans and ducks. A must visit in Bruges.
Go back in time... see how the interior of a Beguines' house looked like. I loved the tiny yard.
Interesting part of Bruges operating as a monastery so please keep quiet when walking through
Nice ancient houses in a secluded place. Once inhabited by nuns of the Beguines now it has been taken over by the order of the Carmelites. A really beautiful place full of calmth and serenity.