Bruges Waterways5557 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Bruges, Belgium
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: 7 EUR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Waterfront, Family And Kids, Boating
There's something especially charming about a town criss-crossed with canals. It harks back to an era where one had to make compromises with nature while building structures and eventually the town would come to use their disadvantage to their benefit, in this case it was a sea flooding their town in medieval times. Canals are just as useful as roads, even more if a lot of goods are being ferried about, which the case was during Bruges' Golden Era when it was a busy port and a centre of commerce in Northern Europe.
The Gothic medieval architecture may not be as bright or inviting, but along with the waterways they have a sort of appeal which earned them the moniker "Venice of the North”. You could walk along the canals; the more popular and far more enjoyable option is to go for a boat ride around the waterways.
Bruges Waterways Travel Tips
- Take the boat ride around the Bruges waterways. Make it a guided boat tour where the entire town and its history is laid out to you. As you travel you will also see the relation between growth of the town and the waterways.
- The canals run all around the town, so expect to see them everywhere. You plan a boat ride as part of your historic centre excursion.
- The boat is a great way to see the entire town. Not only do you get a feel of the area but you can also scope out future activities, say an interesting building to visit later or a historical site you would like to spend a lot of time at.
- If you go on the boat you'll be whipped around in cool air so bring a jacket or a sweater.
- Pay heed to the person handling the boat, there are a few low bridges that could hurt you.
- Obviously not recommended for those who feel uncomfortable around water, but if you step out of your comfort zone you'll get to experience one of the best things at Bruges.
- The Venice of the North, canals criss-cross this Gothic medieval town.
Entrance Ticket Details For Bruges Waterways
- The price of a boat ride is around 7 or 8 Euros.
How to Reach Bruges Waterways
- Any bus to the historic centre and a five to ten minute walk and you will be there.
- There are plenty of places to eat around the historic centre.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bruges include Bruges Waterways in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
68.78% of people start their Bruges Waterways visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Bruges Waterways
90.93% of people prefer walking in order to reach Bruges Waterways