Folklore Museum Or Museum Voor VolkskundeCurrently Closed
- Address: Balstraat 43, 8000 Brugges, Belgium, Bruges
- Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +32-50448711
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Specialty Museums
Walking through this museum will transport you to different scenes in the daily life of the common Belgian in Bruges, throughout history. The name suggests fairytales and ancient stories but the museum is actually filled with displays of olden day Bruges and the way its citizens made the city their home. The museum is divided into different houses, each a portal to an age gone by, from a primary school class, a candy store, a pharmacy, millinery and others. This museum is famous for its quaint exhibits and interesting tour, after which visitors can quench their thirst at the excellent De Zwarte Kat, or The Black Cat.
The museum is set up in the former Shoemakers Guild Almshouse and spread over 8 houses, the museum aims to showcase different scenarios from 19th century Bruges. You can see how they lived, learned and worked. Each house is dedicated to a specific trade or craft. You can find a pharmacy, a sweet shop, a primary school classroom, a milliner, a tailor’s shop, a clog store, a grocery and an authentic bedroom all set up in the well laid out cottages. There’s even a lace maker, complete with a collection, in the exhibition upstairs. There’s a great exhibition on the history of the regions textile industry. Each room comes with an explanation of what is what in both English and Flemish.
At the end of the tour, visitors can go to an authentic Belgian pub that has beer on tap. The pub, called The Black Cat, is a 19th century styled inn complete with old fashioned furniture and prices! Visitors can enjoy a hot snack, coffee or chilled Belgian beer after a long evening of exploring the museum. In the summer, children and adults alike can revel in tradition games out in the garden. This offbeat attraction is inexpensive and a great way to pass an evening, soaking up information about the culture of Bruges and the way the citizens of old lived day to day.
- Tickets sold till 4:30 pm.
- Check out the room filled with football memorabilia and information on the new Bruges football team!
- The explanations in English are not well detailed.
- Parking is available.
- Adults 4 Euros, 65+ 3 Euros, Free for children under 12, youngsters (under 26) 3 Euros, Free with Bruges City Card.
- Bus stands: Markt 32(0)50 33 44 44 and Stationsplein 32(0)50 38 46 60.
- Detailed bus, train and ferry-schedules are on display at the Tourist Office.
- Restaurant Sans Cravate (Belgian/ Lunch 35€; Menu (set menu only) 60€/ 103€; Carte 81€/110€)
- ‘T Hof Van Beroep (Beer, Belgian,Snacks)
- De Karmeliet
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
10.3% of people who visit Bruges include Folklore Museum Or Museum Voor Volkskunde in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
52.94% of people start their Folklore Museum Or Museum Voor Volkskunde visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Folklore Museum Or Museum Voor Volkskunde
89.74% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Folklore Museum Or Museum Voor Volkskunde