Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum492 Votes Currently Open
Originally the hospital of St. John in the 12th century, the Memling in Sint-Jan Hospitaal museum is now a museum of sorts, exploring the history of the structure and contains displays illuminating the same. The building itself is from the 1100’s and is chock full of treasures. A fascinating combination of medical instruments and works of art make this museum a unique experience, for history lovers and casual visitors alike.
The Hospitaal museum is divided into two sections; the larger in the former hospital ward and containing documentation and fascinating artefacts and works of art such as Jan Beerblock’s ‘The Wards of St. Janshospital’ depicting patients resting in tiny cupboard like beds. There are numerous beautiful paintings such as ‘The Deposition of Christ’ and others that are themed around Jesus and the donor. Even the furniture in this area is noteworthy and very beautiful, reminiscent of a sense of by gone aestheticism. The smaller section is now a shopping complex from where you can take home keepsakes.
There lies an old chapel inside the museum, displaying six paintings by Memling himself, with their detailed symbolism and grave aura. In 1480, the artists were one of Bruges greatest money lenders, a reflection of his popularity as an artist of the time. His skilful strokes and choice of warm colours made him famous, even outside the Belgian city. His painting ‘The Legend of Ursula’ is a multi panelled story within a painting, depicting the pilgrimage she and her ten companions undertook and their unfortunate fate at the hands of the Huns. On a brighter note is the ‘Mystical Marriage of St. Catherine’, serene and shows in a contemplative mood, together with baby Jesus.
Visitors will be delighted to see this monument to art and historical memento, whether it’s a leisurely stroll you desire or to admire art and devour a slice of history. Walk around the St. John Altar Piece or soak in the beautiful paintings, it’s worth spending an evening in this museum. It’s recommended you take an English guidebook with you if you aren’t well versed with the Flemish language as most of the explanations are not in English.
Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum Travel Tips
- Get the multi-museum ticket for best value.
- Check out the magnificent Memling painting of the active hospital floor.
- There is a lot of artwork to admire all around this building.
- Pick up an English language guide book at the door so as to understand the exhibits properly.
- The explanations in English are not well detailed.
- The pharmacy exhibit is closed at lunchtime.
- Parking available.
Entrance Ticket Details For Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum
- Adults 8 Euros ($13) , Seniors 6 Euros ($9.60) , Ages 6-25 1 Euros ($1.60) , Free for children 5 and under.
How to Reach Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum
- Bus stands: Markt 2(0)50334444 and Stationsplein 32(0)50384660.
- Detailed bus, train and ferry schedules are on display at the Tourist Office.
- Gruuthuse Hof (Belgian Cuisine, Snacks/30 Euro per head)
- Marieke van Brugghe (Belgian, Beer/30 Euro per head)
- Poules Moules (Belgian/30 Euro per head)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
12.18% of people who visit Bruges include Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
67.26% of people start their Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum
91.51% of people prefer walking in order to reach Memling In Sint-jan Hospitaal Museum