Minnewater LakeCurrently Open
- Address: Minnewater 1, 8000 Brugge, Bruges, Belgium Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Waterfront, Walking Area, Family And Kids, Lake, Picnic Spot, Nature
The Minnewater Lake, or ‘Lake of Love’ is a picturesque sight, with crystal waters, an enchanting park and swans frolicking about. The idyllic environment is reminiscent of a fairy tale and is a tranquil spot for many. There is a bridge constructed over the lake which offers panoramic views of the town. The Minnewater swan area, the lake with the castle and the park behind the castle are truly magical. A popular spot for couples and visitors alike, this enchanting park is perfect for those who seek peace and solitude.
This is the spot where the coastal river ‘Reie’ entered Bruges, and was later canalized and stretched out until the water reached the centre of the city. This lake was used as a reservoir, to keep the canals water at stable levels. The lake was once used as a mooring place for the barges that entered the city and created a connection between the city and Ghent.
These days, the lake is known as one of the most romantic spots in the city. There are beautiful, long necked swans by the lake, the bird being one of the symbols of Bruges. You can enjoy a peaceful walk through the park or a ride on a horse drawn carriage. A journey here can make for a serene and intimate evening with loved ones or a contemplative one by oneself. The lake is a great picnic spot and a good get away from the rest of the tourist filled attractions of the city.
At night, artificial lights glitter in the darkness, adding to the lake’s charm. You can visit during the summer when the park is in full bloom or go when the first flakes of snow have fallen. The lighting is beautiful when it's dark. The street along the swans is also the resting point for the horse rides in the city. It’s only a ten minute walk from the centre, with several inexpensive eateries nearby, from where you can dine and watch swans glide under the bridge.
If you wish to click beautiful pictures of the city of Bruges or simply want to spend some quality time with your partner then the Minnewater Lake is simply perfect for you. Being an open attraction, Minnewater Lake ticket is free for all. There is no Minnerwater Lake ticket price, but it can be visited with the help of guided tours, thus prices might vary. Buy tickets for Minnewater Lake from our online ticketing portal for a smooth, hassle free experience. Also, you can additionally purchase tickets for Minnewater Lake tours and combo deals to get even better deals out of your money and avail special discounts!
Minnewater Lake Travel Tips
- There you can go on a picnic!
- You can catch a rock concert if you go in the summer.
- Most peaceful in the evenings.
- Be sure to take your camera.
- Prices here are much higher than the rest of the city.
- Disability/Wheelchair accessible.
How to Reach Minnewater Lake
- Buses going to and out of Markt are easily available.
- Bus stands: Markt 32(0)50334444 and Stationsplein 32(0)50384660.
- Detailed bus, train and ferry schedules are on display at the Tourist Office.
- Kardinaalshof (Traditional Belgian/ 51 Euros per head)
- Assiette Blanche (Franco-Belgian, Modern/ 50 Euros per head)
- Brasserie Raymond (Cuisine Traditional/Lunch 18€; Menu: 37€/40€; Carte: 42€/69€)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Minnewater Lake Address: Minnewater 1, 8000 Brugge, Bruges, Belgium
- Minnewater Lake Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Minnewater Lake(preferred time): 09:00 am - 08:00 pm
- Time required to visit Minnewater Lake: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
37.19% of people who visit Bruges include Minnewater Lake in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
50.27% of people start their Minnewater Lake visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Minnewater Lake
53.11% of people prefer walking in order to reach Minnewater Lake
People normally club together Begijnhof Or Beguinage and Church Of Our Lady while planning their visit to Minnewater Lake.
Minnewater Lake Reviews & Ratings
Hi, We are coming on 24th december 2019.Will the lake be open?And how to come to the minnewater lake from brugges station?Answer Report Abuse
I am not sure, but I guess the Minnewaterpark, wherein the lake is located, is open throughout the year. But, it is highly recommended that you confirm before visiting by calling on 32 (0)50 44 46 46. Also, it would be best to ask the locals around to know about the mode of transport.Report Abuse