The MarktCurrently Open
- Address: Markt, Bruges, Belgium
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Walking Area, Statue, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture
Every European town has a centre, a space for the townsfolk to mingle during festivities, a medieval invention long before the times of personal computers and endless distraction. Bruges, keeping in line with its Grimm brother’s tale vibe, has one of the most darkly charming market squares. The buildings are a mixture of medieval and Gothic and at the centre of the square stand a statue of two Flemish regional heroes, Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck, who fought against French tyranny in early 13th century. The Market Square is so named because it once served as the centre for trade and commerce in Bruges. In its heyday between the 12th and the 15th centuries, Bruges was known to have some of the best cloth and weavers in the world. Their craftsmanship and an influx of foreign merchants brought trade and prosperity to Bruges. The Markt is still host to cultural gatherings in addition to being a great spot to hang out.
The Markt of Belgium is a bustling market square with loads of things to offer and see. Of course, since it is a public market, there is no The Markt Tickets for visiting there. There might be The Markt Ticket Prices for other attractions though such as horse drawn carriage. You can directly visit the place to learn about the various shops and restaurants present there and enjoy some great time delving into its vibrant ambience.
The Markt Travel Tips
- Every Wednesday the square hosts a local market with great food and merchants of different kinds.
- Definitely do sit at one of the cafes though. For the ambience.
- Try to cycle around the town and the square if you can, it's worth the effort!
- Part of the historic centre of Bruges, you can plan your trip keeping that in mind.
- For 50 Euros you can take a horse-drawn carriage around or you could walk, Bruges isn't that large.
- The cafes and the shops here are all geared towards tourists. Which means that the service will be good, the food not so much and the prices you'll have to watch out for. There are places a few streets away that have better and more authentic food.
- A charming medieval/Gothic Market Square, the town's economic centre.
- Parking not available at the Markt.
How to Reach The Markt
- Any bus to the historic centre and a five to ten minute walk and you will be there.
- There are plenty of places to eat around the historic centre.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Bruges before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Bruges and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Bruges include The Markt in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
50.66% of people start their The Markt visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see The Markt
88.42% of people prefer walking in order to reach The Markt
People normally club together Historic Centre and Belfry And Market Hall Or Belfort And Market Hallen while planning their visit to The Markt.