Visit Brussels - Best of Brussels
It’s one of the most important cities in Europe and certainly the most important in the country. Many major European institutions are headquartered here; it’s at the junction of a number of major European cultures; has a well preserved if culturally mixed Flemish heritage; has major identities in both French and Dutch (most people speak French); and is simply a beautiful metropolis. It’s history is said to have properly begun when the remains of St, Gudula were transferred into it. Over the years, marshes were drained away, fortified walls were built and Brussels gained a proper identity as a city.
The French bombarded and flattened a large part of the town in 1695, but the city built itself back. In the aftermath of the 1830 Belgian Revolution, Brussels became a capital. It survived the first half of the 20th century with few scratches. It’s got a brilliant cultural, political and social scene, and is probably one of the friendliest cities in Europe.
Brussels Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Brussels tips for your visit
- Brussels Time Zone - Central European Time Zone (UTC+01:00)
- Currency – Currency in Budapest is Hungarian Forints
- Electricity – Budapest uses 230 V, 50 Hz alternating current as the power. Plugs and sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C) and have grounded / earthed 2 pin connections (Type F).
- Languages - The official language in Brussels is Dutch which is mostly spoken among the Flemish communities and in the Flemish Region. French is the main language of the Brussels-Capital Region.
- Internet – 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. There are numerous Cafes providing free Wi-Fi to the tourists.
- Security – Police: 101, Ambulance: 100, Fire: 100, Medical Emergencies: 112
- Tipping – Tipping is not a common practice in Belgium and the service providers include the service charge for the provisions. However, if one is happy with the service, one can tip a maximum of about 10%-15% of the total bill.
- Pickpockets are most active on public transport vehicles metro, in crowded shops, shopping centres, food markets, and popular touristy places. Make sure to keep your money, documents, mobile phone safe and secure.
- Passports and travel documents should be kept in a safe place
- Try and avoid the weekends when the EU leaders are in town as prices shoot up at these times. There's a good range of choice for most budgets all your round, and prices are lowest in summer when the EU folks head off on vacation.
- Before you start exploring the city, remember to buy a Brussels Card, which offers free entry to most museums, free use of public transport and discounts in many other places.
- Be warned most shops don't open before 10.30/11.00 a.m. and often close on both Sundays and Mondays.
- Confirm cab charges before getting in to the cab.
- Confirm cab charges before getting in to the cab.
- Don’t let cabs from the airport rip you off; first timers I Brussels can get charged up to EUR 80 for a trip to the centre. The actual fare is about EUR 30 - 40.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Brussels and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Brussels- Know before you go to Brussels
Facts and Stats for Brussels*
Pollution Statistics in Brussels
Know the pollution level of Brussels before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 64.34 (High)
Water Pollution 46.76 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 55 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 67.41 (High)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 35.27 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 57.59 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 47.77 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 30.45 (Low)
Brussels: Crime and Safety
How safe is Brussels for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Brussels.
Burglary and Theft 51.5 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 51.89 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 47.25 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 32.24 (Low)
Car Stealing 39.22 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 59.19 (Moderate)
Attacks 53.6 (Moderate)
Drug offense 52.54 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 70.66 (High)
Safety walking alone during night 36.48 (Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 55.34 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 42.24 (Moderate)
Property crimes and Vandalism 67.09 (High)
Living in Brussels - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Brussels is 150.26 (Very High)
Safety Index 48.32 (Moderate)
Climate Index 84.56 (Very High)
Pollution Index 63.48 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 32.36 (Low)
Cost of Living Index 83.72 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 78.46 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 7.12 (Low)
Purchasing Power Index 101.3 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Brussels
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Brussels
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.24 USD
International Movie per seat 12.79 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 41.14 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 111.7 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 108.12 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Brussels Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Brussels
Brussels Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Brussels
335 Reviews Duration: 11 Hrs 30 Mins
Discover the best of Holland on this full-day trip to Amsterdam from Brussels. Holland is only a stone's throw away from Belg...
USD 71.33Book Now
402 Reviews Duration: 3 Hrs
Choose between a morning or afternoon guided coach tour and get better acquainted with Brussels. See the world-famous market ...
USD 36.53Book Now
New on TripHobo Duration: 12 Hrs
Stand on Messines ridge where the New Zealand Corps launched the attack after the explosion of the 19 mines. You will visit P...
USD 394.32Book Now
1 Reviews Duration: 14 Hrs
You will stand in the footsteps of the Australian soldiers in Fromelles, Ploegsteert and Messines. You will see some of the m...
USD 394.95Book Now
- Cities Near Brussels
- Drogenbos Tourism
- Linkebeek Tourism
- Alsemberg Tourism
- Sint-genesius-rode Tourism
- Braine Lalleud Tourism
- Boom Tourism
- Vremde Tourism
- Heule Tourism
- Wichelen Tourism
- Top cities from Belgium
- Antwerp Tourism
- Ghent Tourism
- Bruges Tourism
- Sint-martens-lierde Tourism
- Assesse Tourism
- Martelange Tourism
- Dampremy Tourism
- Chievres Tourism
- Sirault Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Višnjevac Tourism
- Plorec-sur-arguenon Tourism
- Evron Tourism