Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula9009 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Place Sainte-Gudule, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium, Brussels
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +32-22178345
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Saint Michael and Saint Gugdule are patron saints of Brussels. On the site where the church now stands, there was in the 9th century a chapel dedicated to St. Michael, one that was replaced with a Romanesque church. St. Gudula’s relics were brought here in 1047. The final form of the church as seen today took over three centuries to finish, in 1519.
On a visit to the Church one must check out the French Gothic Western Façade, Brabantian Gothic Window, The gothic Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament of the Miracle, The Chapel of Our Lady of Deliverance with Romanesque altar, St. Mary Magdalene’s Baroque chapel, Statues of the 12 apostles, The nave with the Baroque pulpit depicting Adam and Eve expelled and Virgin and Child piercing the serpent.
Massive, regal and absolutely grand, the cathedral has another claim to fame: a nest of peregrine falcons on the cathedral’s northern tower that have become a favourite with everybody.
That said, the church has been pretty historically important too. In 1516, Charles was proclaimed King of Spain here; King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola (1960) as well as King Albert II (then Prince) and donna Paola (1959) were married here. A good number of the Royal Family is buried here.
It actually wasn’t until restoration work was happening in full swing in the 1990s in the cathedral that the Romanesque remains of the original church here and its crypt were discovered. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Brussels itinerary 2 days.
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula Travel Tips
- Visit official website for mass timings.
Entrance Ticket Details For Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula
- Free entry to Cathedral.
- Fee for Archaeological site: 1 Euro
- Fee for Romanesque crypt: 3 Euro
- Fee for Treasury: 2 Euro for adults, free for kids under 14 years.
- Combined ticket: 6 Euro
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula Hours
- Archaeological site open form 8 am – 6 pm everyday.
- Treasury open from Monday to Friday 10 am – 12:30 pm and 2 pm – 5 pm, Saturday: 10 am – 3 pm and Sunday 2 pm – 5 pm.
Operating hours for cathedral:
- Saturday: visit allowed till 3:30 pm
- Sunday: 8 pm – 6 pm visits only from 2 pm
How to Reach Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula
- By Bus: Buses 29, 63, 65 and others stop at Parc bus station.
- By Tram: Trams 92 and 93 stops at Par Light Rail station.
- By Subway: Subways 1 and 5 stop at Gare Centrale subway station.
- Cafe Gudule
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
90.04% of people who visit Brussels include Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
44.42% of people start their Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula
74.1% of people prefer walking in order to reach Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula