Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula, Brussels
About Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula, Brussels
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula, Brussels - Address, Phone Number
Address: Place Sainte-Gudule, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 07:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 75.5K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Saint Michael and Saint Gugdule are patron saints of Brussels. On the site where the church now stands, there was in the 9th century a chapel dedicated to St. Michael, one that was replaced with a Romanesque church. St. Gudula’s relics were brought here in 1047. The final form of the church as seen today took over three centuries to finish, in 1519.
On a visit to the Church one must check out the French Gothic Western Façade, Brabantian Gothic Window, The gothic Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament of the Miracle, The Chapel of Our Lady of Deliverance with Romanesque altar, St. Mary Magdalene’s Baroque chapel, Statues of the 12 apostles, The nave with the Baroque pulpit depicting Adam and Eve expelled and Virgin and Child piercing the serpent.
Massive, regal and absolutely grand, the cathedral has another claim to fame: a nest of peregrine falcons on the cathedral’s northern tower that have become a favourite with everybody.
That said, the church has been pretty historically important too. In 1516, Charles was proclaimed King of Spain here; King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola (1960) as well as King Albert II (then Prince) and donna Paola (1959) were married here. A good number of the Royal Family is buried here.
It actually wasn’t until restoration work was happening in full swing in the 1990s in the cathedral that the Romanesque remains of the original church here and its crypt were discovered.
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula Information
- Visit official website for mass timings.
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula Ticket Prices
- Free entry to Cathedral.
- Fee for Archaeological site: 1 Euro
- Fee for Romanesque crypt: 3 Euro
- Fee for Treasury: 2 Euro for adults, free for kids under 14 years.
- Combined ticket: 6 Euro
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula Opening and Closing Hours
- Archaeological site open form 8 am – 6 pm everyday.
- Treasury open from Monday to Friday 10 am – 12:30 pm and 2 pm – 5 pm, Saturday: 10 am – 3 pm and Sunday 2 pm – 5 pm.
Operating hours for cathedral:
- Saturday: visit allowed till 3:30 pm
- Sunday: 8 pm – 6 pm visits only from 2 pm
How To reach Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula by Public Transport
- By Bus: Buses 29, 63, 65 and others stop at Parc bus station.
- By Tram: Trams 92 and 93 stops at Par Light Rail station.
- By Subway: Subways 1 and 5 stop at Gare Centrale subway station.
Restaurants Near Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula
- Cafe Gudule
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Cathedral Of St. Michael And St. Gudula, Brussels Reviews - Write a Review
Monumental. It makes you think about the past and how ready they were to create such architectural pieces to carry their beliefs. The patience for detail manifests itself in each step you take around it. Worth seeing, especially because it's free to enter and not far from the central station (so can be done as a break while waiting for your next train).
beautiful church with a nice garden. But why are there many homeless sitting just outside the church? i think i spotted 2 or 3. Made us feel uncomfortable walking around the church.
Impressive building. One of the main place to visit in Brussels. Close to all other attractions.
Really awesome cathedral. Very beautiful on the inside and outside. You can spend literally hours just sitting there and admiring all the awesome artwork inside. And best of all? It's all free of charge (with the possibility of donations which I recommend doing).
The landmark of Brussels. Fantastic cathedral with awesome stained glass windows, altars and features. Must visit of in Brussels and some good views and picture spots too.
- Nearby Attractions
- Groovy Brussels Bike Tour
- Il Colosseo
- Islamic And Cultural Centre Of Belgium
- Bruxella 1238
- Bruxelles Midi / Brussel Zuid
- X2brussels Bed And Breakfast
- Tonton Garby
- Brussels Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 48 Hours in Brussels
- What to See in 72 Hours in Brussels
- How to Spend 5 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 6 Days in Brussels
- How to Spend 7 Days in Brussels