Eglise Saint Jacques Sur CoudenbergCurrently Open [Closes at 02:00 pm]
- Address: Impasse du Borgendael 1, 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium, Brussels
- Timings: 08:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +32-25021825
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
On July 21, 1831, Leopold I took the oath of allegiance to the Belgian Constitution, and became King of Belgium. He took that oath in this grand neoclassical church built in the 18th century. The facade however is almost entirely Greco-Roman, with its huge triangular pediment and great Corinthian columns. Moses and King David’s statues guard the entrance. The interior is relatively stark, and only the dome is decorated with floral motifs. You’ll find two paintings by Jean-François Portaels, The Crucifixion and The Cross, at the ends of the transept.
- Contact the l'Animation Chrétienne et Tourisme for possible guided tours of the church.
- Check church website for various service times.
- Trams 92, 93; Buses 38, 71, N04, N05, N06, No9, N10, N11, N12 stop Koning/Royale
- Subway 2, 6 stop Trone
- Subway 1, 5 stop Gare Centrale
- Buses 54, 71, N11 stop Ducale
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Brussels before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Brussels and book an accommodation of your choice.
Saint Jacques-sur-Coudenberg is a neo-classical church at the Grand Palace in Brussels. The church was built in the 1730s and features a nice columned portico, tiled pediment and dome. There is a impressive equestrian statue in front of the church as well. The church is basically across the street from the Royal Museums of Fine Arts and can be seen before or after your visit to the museum complex.
Worth seeing but it is not the most stunning building in the city.
This church is tall, peaceful and quiet. It is close to Brussels park. Don't miss it. It looks like you can not come in but is is open. Come and cool down before heading to the palace or the park. Enjoy!
Nice church, very minimal
A very beautiful church. With a fabulous outside! Worth a visit!